92 4x4 Upper ball joints

Byrd91

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Penobscot, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I just went to get an allignment and they wouldn't do it because my upper ball joints are bad. I checked them myself and sure enough there is a little play in them. I just had both right sides replaced this summer, and the lefts were checked and had no play. Now all of the sudden both upper ones are bad. I do some offroading, and have 31s and am lifted, but why would a brand new ball joint be bad already... Anyway, can I change the uppers without taking apart the whole front end. I just did my bearings a couple of weeks ago and don't want to do that again. The Hanes basically gives instructions for a complete teardown, and I want to avoid that. Is this possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Byrd91
Anyway, can I change the uppers without taking apart the whole front end.

I don't think so, in order to get the ball joints out you are going to have to pull the knuckle off and take it apart so you can get the ball joint press in there to press out the upper joint which might require you to remove the lower ball joint as well.

Thanks for the info, looks like I have a long Saturday in front of me...

If you find a better way let me know.

What kind of ball joints do you use?Do you grease them at all?:D

I'm not sure what my mechanic put in, it appears only the lower one is greasable, I'm not sure about the upper. From what I hear I should get Moog ones, so thats what I'm going to get I guess.

Moog cost a little more but they are a ton better:D

Back