92' Explorer - Installed new BT deck - Won't start now | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92' Explorer - Installed new BT deck - Won't start now

Nok23

Reaction score
City, State
ukiah, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992, Ford Explorer XLT
I installed a new deck and now my Explorer won't start - I was able to use a jump box to start it .. That lasted about 5 or 7 days .. Now it won't even start with a jump from another vehicle. New battery and terminals .. So I'm stumped. I'm about to give the starter a wack or two. When it's connected to another source (car, jump box etc ..) it comes soooooo close to starting .. Usually sits around 11.8V .. Not the needed 12.6V to start .. Doesn't matter how long the charging source sits on it, it doesn't start .. It all happened on day 2 of my install .. Also I recently bypassed the factory amp, I thought that it was drawing the energy from the battery, but apparently I was wrong .. So, did I F*ck up my electrical some how by installing this deck?

*EDIT* It has a new starter and starter solenoid in it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even when it wasn't all connected it was doing it.

check all the fuses

Thank you guys for the replies .. come to find out that the battery I switched to was DEAD upon arrival .. Thank you trusty multimeter! Even after charging and jumping it, it would not hold a charge apparently .. But a family friend is letting me use his older (yet newer) battery until I can save up to get one of my own (Aiming for an Optima!) So, case closed :D

optimas are trash. Dont waste your money. Honestly, just go to Costco and get one of their batteries. Plenty good for daily use. Its all Im using and I have 5 amplifiers. Zero issues.

I have had good luck with Optima's. I have two in my Explorer. Last set lasted several years, this set is on two years and counting. I got the last set at Pep Boys on sale for I think around $125 each.

Brian1 on the board has had good luck with Bosch Platinum AGM's and they are priced about 1/3 less than Optima. I was going to purchase two of the Bosch, but they would not fit into my custom made battery holders and I did not want to completely redo them. I think @Brian1 has the cad file for battery boxes for the Bosch so he could cut you one on his plasma table.

Back