• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer major fuel issue.

Henry145

Reaction score
City, State
Snelling California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
Trying to keep it short. Runs fine, then like a switch was turned on it starts bogging down, smells like fuel. When ideling fuel runs out the exhaust. Cleared by itself the first time. So far I've changed plugs, wires, checked MAF sensor, pulled codes 111-157, checked for loose hoses snd wires, pulled plugs and found wet plugs on driver side but passenger side was dry. Borrowed a scope the first time it happend and looked into the cylinders but the trouble had already cleared and they looked good. Hope someone can help. Thanks

Dannyboy had this issue, wonder if they got it sorted? You might look for his thread

I think they had determined it was the fault of wiring, or the ECM.

Look for a bad wire in the fuel injector harness, look closely for any grounding -bad insulation.

The fuel injectors are all on a common circuit, with 12v applied to each side. When one side drops low the injector fires. This is a batch fire injection system, where all injectors fire together.

keeping this in mind, check the area where the driver side splits from the passenger side for bad connections.

Injector problem solved

Thanks Turdle for your help. You nailed the problem, it just took me a long time to find it. There was a small cut in the injector wire where the wiring harness crosses the thermostat. In the bundle of wires was a shielded senor wire running next to the injector wires. The reason the problem came and went was because I had a small water leak around the thrmostat that shorted the injector wire to the shielded wire untill it dried. Finally, the wires stayed wet enough I could trace the short through the harness and fix it.

Glad you found it. I noticed a couple wire harnesses had "patina" or verdigris in that area when I was looking for a good one for our 93. Thanks for updating your thread also.

Back