1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

92 Explorer problems

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by mdiam620, December 9, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mdiam620

mdiam620 New Member

City, State:
      monroe MI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      92 Explorer
      Hi, I have a 92 Explorer 4.0 4X4 116k miles. There are a few problems that I believe to be linked.

1. at highway speeds when the overdrive kicks in and you try to accelerate there is a bad shudder until you press gas pedal to the floor and it down shifts. VERY slow to get any speed from 55 on up.

2. less than 10 m.p.g. (need I say more)

3. When it is cold out and you go to start it, it won't start on first try always takes 2 tries.

4. When started cold I noticed the exhaust is not a steady stream it kind of puffs out.

5. when in reverse it chugs backwards really bad

6. the temp gauge never moves except at highway speeds. It stays below the normal markings even at 75 m.p.h.

other than that its a great vehicle....lol

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      1) 3-4 shift and torque converter clutch (TCC) lockup are both independently controlled by the EEC-IV computer. 1st step in diagnosing this problem is to pull codes from the computer. Then check the wiring for the two solenoids and make sure there are no shorts to ground between the solenoid and the computer (Should get a wiring diagram for this).

2) Probably related to other problems

3) Common symptom for a fuel system that doesn't hold pressure. On cold starts, try cycling the key on and off a few times. Each time let the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds. After doing this a couple of times, then try to start it. Better yet, get a fuel pressure gauge and see what's going on.

4, 5) Possible misfire?? When was the last tuneup (plugs, wires, etc.)?

6) 1st thought is a thermostat stuck open.

4. Con Seann3ry

Con Seann3ry Active Member

City, State:
      Eugene, Oregon
      94 XLT
      3) You can check your fuel pressure with a standard tire gauge. There is a shrader valve on the fuel rail. There are two shrader valves though so make sure to get the right one, the other one is for AC, and if you hit that one you're basically dead instantly, well, not really, but it's a really bad idea.

5) I'd check your spark plugs and wires like Shorty said

5. Opera House

Opera House Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      2014 Explorer 3.5L base
      3.) Try turning the key just to on for 3 seconds then off, repeat, and then try to start. This could be a symptom of fuel leakdown and is something you can try if you don't have a gauge.

5.) Search for low/reverse servo. This part on the transmission is fairly easy to replace.

6.) A stuck open thermostat is probably causing most of you mileage problems. Had bad thermostats on every one of mine.