1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

92 Explorer, Trans Control Solenoid Replacement Help.

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by TazDoggy, October 1, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. TazDoggy

TazDoggy New Member

City, State:
    Casper,Wyo
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    92 Explorer XLT
    Tranny out on Mountain.

I was headed up the Mountian to go camping in my 92 Explorer XLT 4x4 with my Baby Sister, As we Reached the top where it forks, We stopped to read the signs to figure out which camp site to go to. I put it in park to read the signs, when I put it back in gear i.e. Drive, Nothing, Over Drive= nothing, Reverse= nothing. So I put her back in Park and pulled the Hood Lever then walked to the front of it and found a trail of Tranny Fluid on the ground.:exp:

Can Some body Please Give me some help here, Because this is my first time owning a Vehicle this young, I generally own older stuff.

Thank's to any body who can help me out. She is sitting on jack stand's and I don't have a clue how to help Her. It's a Guy Thing Right?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    Welcome to this forum! It sounds like the front seal blew out on the transmission. Install a larger cooler if you plan on doing a lot of hill climbing, towing, and off roading. In the mean time, refill the transmission, and always check the temperature gauge. Never tow in overdrive.

4. 1Aauto

1Aauto EF Vendor

City, State:
    mass
    92 explorer
    welcome to the site

5. TazDoggy

TazDoggy New Member

City, State:
    Casper,Wyo
    92 Explorer XLT
    I have to Replace the Transmission Control Solenoid in my 92 Ford Explorer, How do I Remove the Solenoid? Do I need to Remove the Bottom of the Tranny Plate to get it out? and If that's the Case well any thing spring out that's not supposed to?

6. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
  7. TazDoggy

TazDoggy New Member

City, State:
    Casper,Wyo
    92 Explorer XLT
    Hey There BrooklynBay, Thanks for getting back to me. It's the inside Solenoid and it is Burnt Black the wire was totally melted off.
    Well I finally got the Solenoid and Gaskets I needed to do the job, I worked on it all night and got it all put back together and now it ain't doing any thing at all, No Reverse or Drive. Is there some thing else that I'm need to Check? Is it controlled by a Fuse or some thing?