'92 Sluggish to Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

markaz

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
Battery recently tested by AAA and said charge was good and when turning over the battery is putting out sufficient amps. However, what is happening is intermittent. Sometimes when I turn the key over the starter seems like the truck just came off the assembly line. Other times when I turn the key there is sluggishness for a couple a couple of cranks, then speeds to normal and the engine starts. Yesterday it was like the truck had been setting outside in -10 degree weather. Extremely slow to turn over for 3 or 4 "cranks" to the point of almost dying, released the key for a couple of seconds then turned the key over for a couple of cranks and it then fired.
If you're in my shoes where would you start first (other than taking it to a shop) in trying to diagnose why the unpredictability in how the starter turns over? I plan on starting with the cables at the battery terminals because they are not in factory condition, but if that doesn't do it, then I need the help of the real experts on this forum. If I'm going to have to buy a solenoid, starter, or whatever, I just want to make sure it's done with a reason behind it.
Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Back