[92 XLT] Making it beautiful again. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

[92 XLT] Making it beautiful again.

A little background on the Ex (skip down for pictures):
My mother graduated college in 1991 and as a graduation gift from my father, they bought the Explorer in August of 1991, as I was getting ready to go into the second grade. In 2001 they bought a PT Cruiser and I finally passed my drivers test, inheriting the Ex. In 2003 there was a blizzard on President's Day weekend that blanketed the east coast in about four feet of snow and it took me about ten hours to drive from Washington DC to Philadelphia, where I was living at the time. On the way I hit black ice and crashed into the cement jersey barriers that separated the two sides of RT-676. The damage was nominal, but the next day she was towed to south Philly. May of 2008 I decided that the Ex was too tired to be my commuter car (80 miles a day) and bought a 2007 Dodge Caliber, retiring the Ex to my part time turbo lover. There was much to do about her fate, but I decided in early September to take a self-enrichment class at our local vo-tech and fix up the beast.

And so, she opens her eyes and breaths once more.

nicolecar2.jpg

About two years ago, on my first day of work.

_MG_4486.jpg

_MG_4487.jpg

I didn't think to take full pictures of the car before I started working on it, so here it is about two weeks after class started, having already removed the chrome wings that kissed the bumper.

_MG_4491.jpg

_MG_4492.jpg

Aformentioned wings. One was considerably dented from someone having rearended me in high school. These images show the two wings, one polished after being hammered on for a while. I regret not getting an image of how dented it really was.

Quarter Panels:
IMG_4434.jpg

IMG_4439.jpg

Right and left side quarter panels rust spots.

_MG_4483.jpg

_MG_4484.jpg

_MG_4481.jpg

_MG_4495.jpg

Close up on some nasty rust.
We cut out the rust and then cleaned out the insides. There was a little more rust that we had found afterward and cut out after these pictures were taken.

_MG_4489.jpg

_MG_4490.jpg

The cleaned up and primed innards. In the second picture there is a spot on the inside that was cut out and had new metal welded in.

_MG_4494.jpg

Some pieces that we used a "Shrinker-Stretcher" on to give it that nice bend.

_MG_4497.jpg

_MG_4498.jpg

_MG_4671.jpg

IMG_4674.jpg

More welding, grinding and priming!

IMG_4707.jpg

Yum, body filler.

_MG_4924.jpg

Larger image.
After I used sandpaper to make it nice, I used a "DA" to smooth down all the layers of paint and primer. I took those pictuers just after squirting a little bit of primer on it and then remembering that I wanted a picture.

_MG_4925.jpg

_MG_4926.jpg

_MG_4927.jpg

So that is where I am now. There are still various dents and dings that need working on, and I will update with more pictures in a few weeks. Here is a link that should take you to the gallery where I have everything uploaded.

This is cool stuff, I love seeing the work people do to their cars on their own. Do you have any future plans to lift or lower it? Or are you just concerned with getting the body damage fixed?

OH I have plans! But first is to get it back in good shape. There is a lot of rust and scratches that need to be taken of first. Hopefully by the summer I'll have the body done and I can unveil my evil plots.

Back