Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

93 4wd, replacing motor and doing trans work.

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Nedwreck, July 4, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Nedwreck

Nedwreck Active Member

City, State:
      Kentucky, Y'all!
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '93 xlt, '92 4x4
      Is it better to pull an engine and trans together on these, or separate them in the truck and remove them in two parts?

I'm replacing a motor, also doing some seals on the trans, and the exhaust is rusted beyond separation at the y-pipe/CAT flange, as well as exhaust manifolds to pipes are rusted beyond seized.... so the exhaust thing just kinda compounds my problems here.. unless maybe it'll just pull out with the motor/trans... :)

If it'll all pull out together - man that would save a ton of work!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Anime

Anime EF YEAH!! Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      2018 EX Sport Concept
      You don't really have a choice. The motor can't be dropped down, and the transmissions can't be taken out attached to the motor, unless you have access to a VERY high lift (or a crane) and can have the vehicle high enough to allow the engine/tranny assembly to be almost vertical for taking it out that way.

So sure, it's POSSIBLE, but only with the right equipment. Even then, you'd still need to seperate the exhaust.

Your best bet is to work on the manifold to Y-pipe flange bolts. If you clean up the exposed threads (a wire brush on a drill works good, and a small wire brush as well), and then apply some kind of penetrant (PB blaster, Liquid Wrench) daily over a period of days/weeks, they WILL come out. Use a 3/8 extension with a 3/8 breaker bar to apply the needed torque without snapping the bolt.

After that you just break the cat/muffler pipe bolts (cutting them is okay too), and the Y-pipe and catalytic converter come off together.

Then it's just a matter of removing everything behind the tranny, lowering it a bit in the rear to allow access to the engine/tranny bolts, using a pair of 24-inch extensions and wobble/universal adapters to get to those hard-to-reach upper bolts, and the tranny can drop down, and the engine is free to be taken out once you disconnect the wires and hoses.

4. Nedwreck

Nedwreck Active Member

City, State:
      Kentucky, Y'all!
      '93 xlt, '92 4x4
      Well, I hadn't initially intended to pull the trans - or go thru all this exhaust hassle. The engine was fragged however, so.....

There's a bad seal between the trans and t-case, so there's that, plus the exhaust ticked me off, so it all came out.

I'm going to brake down all the exhaust pieces, and make a 2.5 flange for the y-pipe, so we can run a magnaflow CAT or whatever.

We have a overhead jib crane so overhead clearance isn't a problem. We don't have a leveler for the hoist however - so that limits things possibly back to sticking the trans in from below, and the motor from the top. arg. I'd think the t-case is heavy enough that a leveler is still going to be pushing my luck... sure be nice to stick it all in one lump though.

Man them bellhousing bolts were TIGHT. I put a engine in my other Explorer, that was a cake walk compared to this one.