93 Explorer project "The Hulk" | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer project "The Hulk"

Ok to give a starting point i want to say that i have had a 91 X that i had the Superlift 5.5" lift on back in 2001 took it to MOAB and had a blast including jumping it 5' yes FEET off the ground at the dunes. However it was unfinished and i was 19 and traded it in for another vehicle and have regreted it ever since. Then in August of 2010 i found this 93 that i purchased for $400 because it needed a clutch and was beat up a bit. So Since then all i have done was a clutch until recently. I started replacing a few things here and there including one front fender which the other needs to be replaced as well eventually. Then i finally decided it was time for the fun stuff. SO i purchased another superlift 5.5" Superrunner lift, the one with the extended radius arms. I also purchased a set of used tires and rims tires are 35 12.50 r15. Then i purchased a set of 4.56 ring and pinion with master rebuild kits for both axles. And i wanted to start logging all this on here for others to see as well as advice. So you know before i get beat up too bad on the TTB i thought about going to a straight axle and i might eventually but i personally kinda like the TTB and this is also still going to be my every day driver, I just want it to be more offroad capable as well. I plan to replace all seals and bearings in both axles MAINLY in front while its all apart, and probably painting/undercoating both axles at the same time. Any ideas on some small things that i may want to consider WHILE im doing the lift and gears to possibly save me some time or hassle down the road a bit????

Thanks for reading if you were able to read through it all just wanted to give a good background. OH YA and i will post some pics soon of the 93 as well as a couple of my first X the 91.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok got a few hours of work done today!! But only after i went shopping. So here is the progress and thanks to SUICIDE77 for helping out today!!!

Shopping.....

DSCF2018.jpg

DSCF2021.jpg

DSCF2020.jpg

Removed the steering linkage and the front sway bar from the front axle and slid the axle over to make room for the rear axle. The idea is to get the rear axle off and in the garage because it is supposed to rain tomorrow and this way i can at least work on the ring and pinions if its raining.

DSCF2023.jpg

DSCF2024.jpg

Lifted the Rear of the truck up onto jack stands.

DSCF2025.jpg

DSCF2026.jpg

DSCF2027.jpg

Then i dropped the spare tire and decided im going to cut the rivots out of the spare tire hanger and remove that just because i wont need it so its a waste of space.
DSCF2028.jpg

From this point i will tell you the order i did things and at the end ill tell ya the way i SHOULD have done them!!

First was the rear sway bar.
DSCF2029.jpg

DSCF2030.jpg

Next i removed the lower part of the shocks.. had to cut the right side off... I even tried to air hammer it out...
DSCF2032.jpg

Dropped rear driveshaft..
DSCF2033.jpg

Then i removed the rear brakes so i could disconnect the emergency brake cables from each size..
DSCF2035.jpg

DSCF2037.jpg

I left the brake lines attached to the rear axle.. and dropped the leaf springs.
DSCF2040.jpg

DSCF2039.jpg

DSCF2038.jpg

These were used as dollys, Which i thought worked AWESOME but my wife just called me a redneck!!!! EH oh well!!

DSCF2041.jpg

Took the cover off the rear axle..
DSCF2042.jpg

Some pics of the continuing troublesome rivots.
DSCF2043.jpg

DSCF2045.jpg

And the last pic is one i took a few mins ago so yall could see the explorer on jackstands with NO AXLES at all under it.
DSCF2048.jpg

More work will commence tomorrow either RIVOTS or Ring and Pinions but either way i will need some good luck so please pray for me!!!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sent one above for Ya And Also Good luck !

Ok spent hours running around trying to find a torque wrench thats 15 inch pounds and i have had no luck!!! i dont want to tear the gears out till i have everything i need to put them back together so we just started some more demo work.

Anthony aka Suicide77 is pretty handy with a grinder and dremel. And he is awesome help to have around!!! Greatly appreciate the help.
DSCF2050.jpg

DSCF2051.jpg

DSCF2052.jpg

DSCF2053.jpg

DSCF2063.jpg

If all the rivots came out as easy as the 4 on the front bracket then it would be no big deal but so far most of them are being very stubborn. The heads are coming off pretty easy after cutting the cross in them but getting them to punch through is another story. Heres a pic of one that im fighting VERY HARD!! Bottom one wasn't too bad top one is sucking!!!
DSCF2049.jpg

Then we fought these bolts that hold the radius arms onto the axle we got 3 out of 4 out but that last one is being a HUGE PITA!!!
DSCF2058.jpg

DSCF2057.jpg

DSCF2059.jpg

DSCF2056.jpg

This is a picture of Anthony's shackle from his X!!! WOW!!!!
DSCF2060.jpg

Not doing much of anything tomorrow taking the family to an amusement park so i will update again anything i get done tomorrow night or monday!!!

Thanks for the kind words man! Don't know how I would have survived my lift on without all the stuff you are doing and posting!!! Thank you! It was a ton of fun, but I think it'll take a little more Kroil and the will of God to get the last stud out though...

Felt good to take a day off but I was glad to get back at it today!! Kind of a slow day really but did get some accomplished... and again had the help of a good friend anthony!!

Passenger side bracket bolted up and holes drilled...
DSCF2068.jpg

DSCF2069.jpg

Drivers side bracket bolted up....
DSCF2070.jpg

Finally fought the last bolt out of the passenger side beam....
DSCF2071.jpg

Bolted up the axle travel bumper brackets....
DSCF2072.jpg

DSCF2073.jpg

DSCF2080.jpg

This picture is really crappy but it was a blind shot... Basically what i want you to see here is that there is a space all the way around this bolt head which HAS to be cleaned out to remove and install the new bolts for the bumper brackets. I fought this for quite awhile before i figured out that the hole just needed to be cleaned out!!!
DSCF2081.jpg

Drivers side radius arm bracket installed with holes drilled...
DSCF2075.jpg

DSCF2078.jpg

This is a part of the frame on the passenger side that was folded down to clear the exhaust, this must be ground down flush to clear for the passenger side radius arm bracket...
DSCF2079.jpg

This is after its been ground down... and bracket almost installed but the bolts that go through the side of the frame cannot be reached very easily, I may have to remove the exhaust to get to them but i got tired of the fight today so here is some pics of the bracket and bolts...
DSCF2082.jpg

DSCF2083.jpg

DSCF2084.jpg

DSCF2085.jpg

And for a finishing thought i had to roll the rims and tires out and do a mock picture. I think this is close to the height but not exact but the pic is awesome...
DSCF2087.jpg

Night yall.. Oh and i should be getting a 0-60 in/lb torque wrench tomorrow then i should be able to start on the gears..

Ok well I had to get the torque wrench ordered and it will be here tomorrow so i cant do the gears til then. That gives me more time to read up on it anyway!! I did however go shopping for E-clip eliminator parts which i was able to find without TOO much trouble!! I went to Fastenal and got the shaft collar 1 3/8 in. First stop which i was surprised. Then i went to a couple places to get the spring. Day Equipment in Roy, UT was SOO UNWILLING to help it was ridiculous, even though i gave them a part number!!! Anyway i went to Ogden Lawn and Garden and a guy named Bart got me the spring i needed in like 2 mins with part number Echo Part #:69621655730.. So i will spend today finishing up everything i can before i do gears tomorrow.. hopefully tomorrow i can get this thing finished up but should be thursday at the latest!!!!

Ok I got some work done today and actually feel pretty accomplished..

Started out by finishing replacing the axle pivot bushings. Had to tap the flare in and then they pretty much fall out, with just a little help.. then the new ones fit kinda loose (as in wont stay in the beam) so options are to figure out a way to flare them back out, or the option i chose tack weld a couple spots on each side.
DSCF2089.jpg

DSCF2090.jpg

Then i took the pumpkin off the front axle beam.
DSCF2092.jpg

This is ALL the oil that was in the front axle.. YES ALL OF IT it was BONE DRY!!!
DSCF2091.jpg

Then with the pumpkin off i completed the E-clip eliminator.. with the previous post parts. 1 3/8 shaft collar, and the Echo Spring.. all that i need to do here still is a couple tack welds to be positive it doesn't spin on the shaft, but it is awesome..
DSCF2088.jpg

DSCF2093.jpg

Next I finished installing the passenger side radius arm bracket, which entailed lowering the exhaust so i could get my hand in there to put the nut and washer on the top bolt, but it wasn't too bad!!!
DSCF2094.jpg

DSCF2097.jpg

Then i installed the drop Pitman arm and this picture shows the difference (roughly) between old to new..
DSCF2098.jpg

Installed the new Shocks..
DSCF2099.jpg

DSCF2100.jpg

New Brake lines.....
DSCF2101.jpg

DSCF2103.jpg

Bolted up front sway bar drop brackets..
DSCF2104.jpg

So i am supposed to pick up my new torque wrench tomorrow morning and then ill be hitting it hard hopefully cause i am starting to run out of time...

then ill be hitting it hard hopefully cause i am starting to run out of time...

...I wish I had a buck for evrytime someone posted that on here..:p:

1 3/8 shaft collar, and the Echo Spring.. all that i need to do here still is a couple tack welds to be positive it doesn't spin on the shaft, but it is awesome..

Loctite the collar bolts, don't weld on your axle shaft (welding creates stress risers that can cause the shaft to fail at a later date). With it in the boot clamp groove as it appears to be, it's not going to go anywhere. ;)

(FWIW, I just used hose clamps around the boot itself with the spring inside it on mine. In 7 years it hasn't gone anywhere)

Loctite the collar bolts, don't weld on your axle shaft (welding creates stress risers that can cause the shaft to fail at a later date). With it in the boot clamp groove as it appears to be, it's not going to go anywhere. ;)

(FWIW, I just used hose clamps around the boot itself with the spring inside it on mine. In 7 years it hasn't gone anywhere)

good thought thank you i will do that instead..

Ok I don't feel like i got **** done today but here is what i did.. I am not going into detail at all about how i did the gears because i am not knowlegdeable about that at all and i dont want to mislead anyone.. I feel i did an ok job but only time will tell for sure. But i got the front ring and pinion installed and pumpkin bolted back up.. installed drivers side radius arm on beam and fought the passenger side beam then decided i was too tired to continue.. so yes i started at noon and quit at about 9:30pm and thats all i got done so i spent ALOT of time MESSING with the shims and **** involved with the front end.. Oh and i also figured out that i had 4.11 gears and i think they were installed aftermarket but not sure. My differential code said i had 3.73 but nope they are 4.11's. anyway here are the pics of my progress today..
DSCF2105.jpg

DSCF2106.jpg

DSCF2109.jpg

DSCF2107.jpg

DSCF2110.jpg

DSCF2111.jpg

DSCF2112.jpg

DSCF2113.jpg

DSCF2114.jpg

DSCF2116.jpg

DSCF2117.jpg

DSCF2118.jpg

Not looking like im going to make my deadline as i can only work til like 2pm tomorrow so well just see what happens..

For what a huge battle it was against the differential and arms you'd think it would be a little more satisfying? Still looking good man, can't believe you got it within specs! :thumbsup:

Ok i got up early and got some done. Front end is mounted just need to replace a Ujoint in the front drive shaft, get some cotter pins for the tie rods, and get it aligned but the alignment wont be til next week probably, i will probably try to do a home version of it to get me by til then. Then i cleaned up the garage a bit and all the tools so i can start fresh on the rear end either later tonight or tomorrow or whenever. Here is the pics.

DSCF2119.jpg

DSCF2120.jpg

DSCF2121.jpg

DSCF2122.jpg

DSCF2123.jpg

I had a hell of a time with my front pinion too. No matter what shim or combo of shims, I always had a slight tight spot. It turns out my case was/is warped. I went a head a ran it. I know I'm going to have excessive wear, but at the time I didn't care.

Good job so far.

I had a hell of a time with my front pinion too. No matter what shim or combo of shims, I always had a slight tight spot. It turns out my case was/is warped. I went a head a ran it. I know I'm going to have excessive wear, but at the time I didn't care.

Good job so far.

Thanks!! and i am just hoping that the rear end is a bit easier!!

Back