93 Explorer project "The Hulk" | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer project "The Hulk"

Ok to give a starting point i want to say that i have had a 91 X that i had the Superlift 5.5" lift on back in 2001 took it to MOAB and had a blast including jumping it 5' yes FEET off the ground at the dunes. However it was unfinished and i was 19 and traded it in for another vehicle and have regreted it ever since. Then in August of 2010 i found this 93 that i purchased for $400 because it needed a clutch and was beat up a bit. So Since then all i have done was a clutch until recently. I started replacing a few things here and there including one front fender which the other needs to be replaced as well eventually. Then i finally decided it was time for the fun stuff. SO i purchased another superlift 5.5" Superrunner lift, the one with the extended radius arms. I also purchased a set of used tires and rims tires are 35 12.50 r15. Then i purchased a set of 4.56 ring and pinion with master rebuild kits for both axles. And i wanted to start logging all this on here for others to see as well as advice. So you know before i get beat up too bad on the TTB i thought about going to a straight axle and i might eventually but i personally kinda like the TTB and this is also still going to be my every day driver, I just want it to be more offroad capable as well. I plan to replace all seals and bearings in both axles MAINLY in front while its all apart, and probably painting/undercoating both axles at the same time. Any ideas on some small things that i may want to consider WHILE im doing the lift and gears to possibly save me some time or hassle down the road a bit????

Thanks for reading if you were able to read through it all just wanted to give a good background. OH YA and i will post some pics soon of the 93 as well as a couple of my first X the 91.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Very cool, very legit! Looks to me like you are really steaming along!

Major respect for actually doing work - there are lot of people who say "mods coming soon" or "I plan on doing this or that" but it never happens. What matters is what you do, and in my book you get props for busting a$$ on this thing instead of being all talk. :D

Thanks for the votes of confidence!! Too bad I go back to work this weekend so might not get a whole lot done but who knows!! But it will get finished next week at the latest

Ok so i didn't get any farther but i did want to show a couple pics. The first one is the mock up picture i took thinking it was at close to the right height and just pushed the tires up there next to it. The second one is after I lifted it up enough and got the front end stuffed. Now obviously it will settle an inch or 2 but notice the amount the front is higher than the rear in the second pic and remember that i didn't move the rear jackstands at all.. I did a couple measurements and will have to lift the rear end about 8 inches to get the axle to roll under it.. I AM STOKED!!! The front of this thing looks BAD @$$ and i cant wait til im done.. anyway here is the pics
DSCF2087.jpg

DSCF2131.jpg

Notice how in the first one its on jackstands and almost level???? The second one only the rear is on stands and the front is done just needs to settle in?? but its going to sit way higher than i originally thought and i cant wait its AWESOME!!!!

Going to look great I think. That color goes really well with the choice of wheels in my opinion.

Well I got the rear end torn apart maybe ill get it back together tomorrow!! Then maybe I can roll it under the truck Monday but who knows we'll see!!

Oh ya and found out I was missing a couple small parts!! "J" clips for the top of the coils!! I called superlift and they sent them right out should be here mid next week!!

..Don't slow down now..If you do you will have one of those projects that lingers on forever and we already have a bunch of those..:D

..We are rooting for ya..:chug:

Well i got my setup bearings made for the rear end, cleaned up the diff cover and painted it blue.. Ya its ugly and doesn't match anything!!!!! That cover is going to stick out like a sore thumb lol.. i know im weird. anyway NASCAR was on today and it took precidence over the truck so work tonight and hopefully get some work done on the truck tomorrow!!

Gotta subscribe to this, and better yet, I want to see this thing in person! :D We gotta meet up for some trail runs with suicide77 and warrant.
I'm working on getting my truck lifted as soon as I get some 31's.

definately man sounds like fun!! I hope to get it done this week all but the PROFESSIONAL alignment. Ill do a home alignment then next week ill try to get it to Firestone.

Ok I got the gears done today and the cover back on..... BUT I was going to lift the rear of the truck up so i could extend the jack stands, I had front tires blocked on both sides. Using a high lift jack in the hitch to raise it when i got close to the height i need to be at the truck started shifting!!! And i started ****TING :eek:, long story short IT FELL :thumbdwn:, Jack stand on the drivers side jammed into the bottom of the rear door so yeah damage was done but nothing to slow me down too much lol just gotta purchase a new high lift jack now and i have a plan for tomorrow to get it up that will work great you will see.. Anyway here is a pic of the Rear diff cover and a couple of the damage done....

DSCF2140.jpg

DSCF2141.jpg

DSCF2142.jpg

Looks like it needed to have some rust fixed anyway. Nothing too bad, but sorry to hear about that.

Ok had some pretty crappy weather today but i still got some work done!! First here is the way that i decided to lift the rear end up, and it worked very well..
DSCF2143.jpg

Rolled the Rear axle under and started hooking stuff up!!

DSCF2144.jpg

DSCF2145.jpg

DSCF2146.jpg

Had one Ubolt that the threads got dented and i didn't notice it until it got stripped so i will have to go to the pick and pull tomorrow and get another one.
DSCF2147.jpg

Had to reroute the brake line on the passenger side cause it was making me nervous.
DSCF2150.jpg

Then after getting the rear brakes all hooked up i bolted the new wheels and tires on and my daughter wanted to take a couple pictures with the truck so here they are.
DSCF2148.jpg

DSCF2151.jpg

Ok so I am REALLY close but still have a few things to do. I want to go back over everything and make sure i didn't leave any bolts loose and make sure everything is torqued properly. Then i still have to install the new crossmember in place of the old radius arm crossmember. I have to Replace a Ubolt, Hook up the shocks and rear sway bar if i decide to keep it on there. I have to replace a ujoint in the front drive shaft, bleed the brakes, adjust the brakes. And hopefully figure out what to do with the emergency brake cable because the drivers side cable isn't long enough to reach so for now its not hooked up but it will be once i figure something out.. So anyone who has done a soa on the rear please tell me how you did it because i am at a loss.. after that i think i will be ready to move it in and out of the driveway several times to get the suspension to settle then i will adjust the alignment. Seems like alot when its typed out but really there isn't much left and it will be done tomorrow with the exception of the e-brake not sure if ill figure that out tomorrow or not!!

Back