93 Explorer shuts off on its own after warming up. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer shuts off on its own after warming up.

Zinith

Reaction score
City, State
Ravenswood, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
93Expl.XLT 4l v6 2wd auto
It starts up and runs like a champ. But after about 3-5 mins of it running. It starts running really rough and will eventually shut off all on its own. It smells really bad because of it running so rich. Ive already cleaned the snot out of the MAF sensor, knocked out both catalytic converters (which ended up looking nearly perfect), and scrubbed off the black soot off the o2 sensors (the 2 of which i could find) and blowed them off with compressed air.

At this point i'm not sure what else to do. If anyone could suggest something to do, id really appreciate it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tested spark after if shuts off ? There is a ignition module behind the passenger headlight. I had mine checked at Advance Auto for free.
I've also been told a bad EGR system will cause the engine to run rough. It may be causing some other issues as it starts to stumble. :dunno:

The fuel pressure regulator seemed to be fine. It was tested and was sitting right around 28 pounds of pressure at idle. and up to 40 pounds when it was revved up and held at 3,000 rpm. When it was shut off it held the idle pressure for 15 mins afterwards.

The fuel filter was taken off and replaced because there was actually a lot of resistance when trying to blow through it. But even then, it only increased it 1 pound.
- Rick

I did not get around to checking the spark after it shuts off chevyh8ter.

Turns out what fixed it was putting in a new drivers side oxygen sensor. I guess it went bad at some point all of the sudden. (id expect to notice signs of it going bad instead of it just completely giving up all of the sudden like it did.) I think that because the o2 sensor degraded and could no longer operate within the temperature threshold, once it got too hot it started sending (or not sending at all) the correct information the computer needed. So the computer would be panicking to solve the issue; i.e. - holding back on how much gas was injected into the cylinders which the engine needs to run. And little by little the engine would get less and less gas and would end up "acting" like it ran out of gas and just quit.

That's just my thought.

Its now driving like itself again with no problem at all. I actually think it drives a little quieter down the road now too. Even for the catalytic converters being busted out of it.

And hopefully it gets better gas mileage than it was before after having cleaned that MAF sensor. (which I'm guessing brought that o2 sensor's demise.)
Normally its rated for around 18 miles per gallon when driving in the city. But mine hardly ever got any better than 10 just driving it around town.

I thank and appreciate both of you guys for your help! :)

One more thing Rick. I think I've located where my engine is leaking coolant. I believe its from the freeze plugs. Should I go ahead and make a new thread talking about all of that? Like whichever ones I should use to replace them with; i.e. (rubber or regular metal plugs) and whether or not I should replace them all at once. Under the thought if one is bad then the others are on the way? (right thinking?) And if I should replace them all then I think i should pull the engine out. And then ask where I could find detailed instructions on how to do that. (if it's needed) And while I have the engine out if there are things I should go ahead and look at and replace while It's easily accessible.
I'm asking because I feel it'd be a little irrelevant to this thread title. ( and honestly after writing all of this I'm thinking more and more that I should just go ahead and make a new thread about this. But because I've already got all of this written, ill just leave it out of curiosity of whether or not you'd be able to answer all of those questions. (if its not too much of a pain. :) ))

You want to make a new thread, trust me. Try to be concise and stay on topic.
If people become over burdened with too much information, they'll become disconcerned and forget about helping you. Plus it makes indexing/searching old topics better. Have you ever searched a topic only to find the information is any but what you were actually looking for ? Its a waste of time and can be disappointing. :banghead:

You may have a bad ECU Temp Sensor. It is near the thermostat and has 2 wires, the single wire sensor there is for the temp gauge. If the sensor is bad it acts like a stuck closed choke, IE running rich and affecting the O2 sensors.

Back