Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

93 Explorer xlt random stalls and dies

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by FordRules1, June 16, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. FordRules1

FordRules1 New Member

City, State:
      Santa Ana, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '93 xlt
      ok hello to everyone im new here and am in need of desperate help , my explorer will randomly stall and die (but it will mostly do it while waiting for a red light or at a stop sign), it will do it few times accelarating , and has died only 1 time (out of the hundreds) on the freeway, (fyi over time it has gotten worst as in the stalls and dies happened more frequent) so out of desperation i took it to ford for a diagnostic ($114) and this is what they found:

OBD-1 Codes-

536 brake switch
      629 Trans fault
      157 MAF
      211 IGN module or loom
      542 Fuel pump or circuit (it has new fuel pump)

543 these were both labeled
      556 together as wire harness

ok based on ur guys knowledge and expertise :D what could be causing the random stall and dies, if not what to start replacing first , i hope i can fix this its getting out of hand thx all :(

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Iron Weasel

Iron Weasel Active Member

City, State:
      Belen, New Mexico
      1994 XLT 4x4
      If you follow the instructions in this thread, you can save yourself $114 every time you need to pull codes.
      Best thing to do would be to disconnect the negative cable from the battery and let it sit for 30 - 45 minutes then reconnect it. Afterwards, drive it for a day or two and then pull the codes using the method in the thread I linked.

I want to know what the current codes are and if they're KOEO hard codes, Continuous Memory codes, or KOER hard codes. Most of the codes you posted have different diagnostic procedures depending on the type of code, so I'll need the most current codes and the type of code it is.

4. FordRules1

FordRules1 New Member

City, State:
      Santa Ana, CA
      '93 xlt
      ok ima go ahead and do like u said and try the method for pulling codes and see wat i get, ill do this when i have time in the next few days