93 Ford Explorer Problems!!VIDEO INSIDE! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Ford Explorer Problems!!VIDEO INSIDE!

Rob816

Reaction score
City, State
Jim thorpe,Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer 4wd
Ok i have a 1993 Ford Explorer.Recently just got it (A week ago) it ran ok then..But as the week went on now it seems to have Gotten worst.after testing driving it..it ran Fine,Decent (i didnt take it far tho)..the next day after putting maybe 100 miles on it or so..i noticed the Temp gauge Would Go up and Down from cold To normal..Not going past Like the O or the M on temp gauge Never overheating.then a day later I noticed it would want to stall at idle when at Red lights,Stop signs i would have to apply some gas for it to stay running..then like a day later it started Sputtering pretty bad and Has like NO power!I mean it has power But i dont think it has the power it should..i can even feel the hesitation in the gas pedal,now the past 3 days or so..it smokes REALLY REALLY Bad!!!..idk it dont seem to be coolant..Im not leaking anything,I topped the Coolant off,Radiator and Resivor the other day and niether of them have moved..So i REALLY REALLY want to rule out Head Gasket..but what Else would cause these Symptoms with the Smoke and all..Smoke seems to be just white?its all the time..I mean im hoping and PRAYING its not head gaskets I do not have any more money and we need a running Vechile!..would a Clogged Cat cause this?Any bad sensors.I dont have any check engine lights on,No oil lights,Dont seem to be burning any Oil..And the Heat is my truck is always hot never goes from hot to cold.i have been wanting to run Seafoam threw it any day now but would like to solve this problem first...Any Tips/Suggestions/Advise is welcomed i have uploaded a video i just took 5 mins ago for you guys to see.it was getting kinda dark out but i did my best..Also the truck has 183,000 im guessing original miles!..idk if thats high for these trucks or what..Ill be lurking around waiting for Answers :)...ALso let me Ad that i am getting REALLY REALLY BAD!!! gas mileage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc8fv_6S6rI

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 93 with 184000 miles did this over christmas and it had jumped time am curently taking off the timing chain

i Also really hope that isn't the case in my Thoughts But i dont think so..Aside from the normal Spark tick or whatever they call it..It no odd noises or nothing..And i think if it jumped Timing it would even Run WORST then what it is..But im open to all Options at this point But ill start looking into that right now!..Also let me Add that Sometimes I can Smell Fuel from inside the Truck and on the Outside..So something has me thinking its fuel related??

Check the simple things first. When was it tuned up last? What maintenance has been done to it recently? Pull the plugs, how do they look? Pull codes, there may be something in it even with no light or the light might be bad.

Check fuel pressure, it should be about 38-40 psi at idle. If it is too high the regulator may be bad. If low then there may be blockage or the pump is not putting out the correct flow. You may also have a bad injector. Also make sure the fuel smell is not coming from the carbon canister, if the canister purge valve is bad, you can get a strong fuel smell. The fumes back up in the canister because they are not being burnt in the motor.

Pressure check the coolant system, make sure its not leaking externally or internally. There should be no bleeding off in about a 5 min period. If your motor is pumping coolant, it most likely will have some in the oil. Make sure there is no water in the crankcase. The oil will look like chocolate milk if there is. Also the exhaust will have a strong sweet coolant smell if the motor is burning it.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

if say,this wasnt my Head head gasket.What else could cause all this Smoke like this?..How about a bad PVC Vavle or something?Just seems the truck isn't running on all Cylinders and tonight i noticed another problem From it running Rough When i get on the Gas more then Half way..I can Hear it like popping inside the Exhaust..Sounds like when you take Rocks in a can And shake it..inside my exhaust??..it may just be because its not running right tho but thats another sympthom

Well everyone..i said i would report when i come to my findings..it turns out i have a Blown Head Gasket..im testing my luck and PRAYING!!.but i bought some of this Stuff from Advanced Auto Called Head Gasket Repair Bar leak's stuff and Praying this at LEAST!!! temp. fixes my problem!!!...at least make it threw winter with it!!!...anyone have any EXP with it?

Well everyone..i said i would report when i come to my findings..it turns out i have a Blown Head Gasket..im testing my luck and PRAYING!!.but i bought some of this Stuff from Advanced Auto Called Head Gasket Repair Bar leak's stuff and Praying this at LEAST!!! temp. fixes my problem!!!...at least make it threw winter with it!!!...anyone have any EXP with it?

I just used this stuff on my 93 4.0 Explorer. Did you buy the cheaper(10ish dollars) stuff or the more expensive(30-50 dollar) stuff? I bought the Head Gasket FIX stuff, it was just pour it right into the coolant and run it for 15 mins, and let it cool, then it stops smoking and my head gasket was fixed. did this last week and its not smoking at all now :) But you bought the cheaper stuff if its just "head gasket repair" the good stuff is "Head Gasket Fix" worked great for me

I just used this stuff on my 93 4.0 Explorer. Did you buy the cheaper(10ish dollars) stuff or the more expensive(30-50 dollar) stuff? I bought the Head Gasket FIX stuff, it was just pour it right into the coolant and run it for 15 mins, and let it cool, then it stops smoking and my head gasket was fixed. did this last week and its not smoking at all now :) But you bought the cheaper stuff if its just "head gasket repair" the good stuff is "Head Gasket Fix" worked great for me

i did buy the Head Gasket Repair..The Cheaper Stuff I didnt have all the money on me Right now..it was a LONG process or starting it up,letting it Cool,Starting it up letting it Cool..Drain the Radiator,Fill it up,Drain again Blah blah blah Bullshit..i finished the process like 10 mins ago..(just got out of the shower)..i filled my Radiator back up with Antifreeze but DIDNT START IT!..im gonna let it sit overnight before i start it up and Let the Coolant Flow back threw in the morning before Work..*Fingers Crossed* i hope it AT LEAST TEMP! fixes it..if not I just may buy the Expensive stuff and try it out next week...:)..I also noticed Before i was done with the process now my CEL is on...Hope it didnt clog anything up??maybe it will clear now that Antifreeze is back in it and everything gets flowing again

I had that problem as well and it ended up being the catalytic converter i know it sounds strange, but i use to have to slam my foot down to get power and now i barley touch the pedal and it goes...make sure you check everything before doing the head gasket.

I had that problem as well and it ended up being the catalytic converter i know it sounds strange, but i use to have to slam my foot down to get power and now i barley touch the pedal and it goes...make sure you check everything before doing the head gasket.

Funny you say that i thought that at first as well.but this Head Gasket Fix stuff worked with the Smoke..But now I keep Losing oil pressure..keeps jumping down to Low and back up and down..Now my temp guage acts all goofy worst then before Goes up real high*not overheating high But close)..Sounds like poping noises..Honestly sounds like its coming from my exhaust??what could this Be??I noticed in my cat..There are 2 Small Holes..i noticed it i was Blowing smoke out..And NOW!! it doesnt seem like my coolant is circulating threw my motor..but there is coolant in there?its full but the Hoses When i sqeeze them there just doesnt feel like any coolant...i have no idea whats up with this peice of ****?...

On another note..I believe this Guy KNEW!! about the head gasket problem and he had a failed attemp at using this head gasket repair because when i drained the Coolant Yesterday I found particles in it that Sorta seemed like from the Head Gasket stuff?...it sucks this Went the NEXT!! day after buying the vechile.Isnt there a law such as the lemon law that would help me get my money back or HALF! at least..I feel i was sold a peice of **** and he lied about i!

I bet we all wish there was a law like that, but we have all been ripped off in some way before. It sucks that people can't be honest and if it is your gasket that will be a $400 problem.

The two small holes on the cat are because he removed the balls that are in the cat. this is common people don't want to replace it so they remove the balls.

what state do you live in? i mean if he sold it to you "as is" then your in a tough spot. I hope you didn't pay to much for this truck?

I paid 1,100 for the Truck and i am in pennsylvania..im reading signs of a clogged catalytic converter and woundering if i have this problem now?i have all the sympthoms..low power,Sluggish,Sputtering under accell and like i mentioned poping noises out of my exhaust.and it seems like everything i hear that poping noise my oil pressure drops?could this be Back pressure causing this?i mean i was assuming the vechile was sold as is?but he didnt say As is..it was just another truck!..i went and got ripped off and this sucks!

I would try the cat and see if the truck improves....because i thought the same thing you did and it ended up being the stupid cat.......you can buy one for around $60 or find a cheap muffler place and have them do it.....let me know what you end up doing.

Well i found this one http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...v--MagnaFlow_16120079-P_N3333B_P|GRP2023P____ I think im gonna go ahead and Get this next weekend and install it..

I noticed more of a problem..when its cold it seems to run DECENT!..once it warms up..Alot of Poping noises Losing power..Could be another reason i think my Cat?i started it up before got close to the Cat and i can hear a slight rattle in it

yeah once it gets warm the balls inside move around and clog up any openings...which means that this truck sat for a while....replace the cat and keep me updated as to what happens.

Waitaminute

1100 for a truck and you think you were ripped off? Have you taken a look at good replacement engines? they are well over 1100 bux.

And, you mentioned seeing stuff in the radiator. Maybe you should have checked it before you bought the truck?

As sour as this may sound, you bought a used truck, and yes it had problems.

All used vehicles have problems or they wouldn't be for sale.

If you bought it from a dealer I think they have to include some kind of warranty, or, have a slip of paper in plain sight saying as is. If you bought it from an individual you got stuck.

As soon as you can accept this you can cool off and attack these problems with a clear head. You have to get the "other guy" out of your thoughts and move on. I hope we can help you get it all sorted out.

It would help us to help you, if you calm down, ( hard as it sounds) and we all attack one issue at a time. We may ask you to do something and report back. Please try your hardest to keep from "finding and fixing" other things while in there as it may change the symptoms. If you do see something out of sorts, get a picture of it for us please.

ok,
now, did you burp all of the air out when you broke the cooling system? Air in the cooling system will cause the temp gauge to freak out.
Sometimes it takes me several "burps" to get all the bubbles out, as the heater core is higher than the radiator cap. Since bubbles go up, try to jack the front up as high as you can, leave the rad cap off and run the engine with the heater on.

Once it warms up, you will see coolant movement, and should see the level go down. Turn off the engine and listen for bubbling. Re fill the radiator and start the engine again. Repeat this until it stays full. It may take 30 minutes or so--seriously.

Also-after the complete burp

rev the engine, and the coolant level should drop-
if it rises up, this "may" indicate positive pressure in the cooling system, from combustion pressure, which, would confirm a head gasket leak.

I would also like to see the engine vacuum. A cheap vacuum gauge is a very handy tool. See if you might borrow or buy one.

The oil sender unit can be an issue. since they are about 7 dollars it would be a good idea to eliminate it as a "symptom" or if it is a problem in itself.

Waitaminute

1100 for a truck and you think you were ripped off? Have you taken a look at good replacement engines? they are well over 1100 bux.

And, you mentioned seeing stuff in the radiator. Maybe you should have checked it before you bought the truck?

As sour as this may sound, you bought a used truck, and yes it had problems.

All used vehicles have problems or they wouldn't be for sale.

If you bought it from a dealer I think they have to include some kind of warranty, or, have a slip of paper in plain sight saying as is. If you bought it from an individual you got stuck.

As soon as you can accept this you can cool off and attack these problems with a clear head. You have to get the "other guy" out of your thoughts and move on. I hope we can help you get it all sorted out.

It would help us to help you, if you calm down, ( hard as it sounds) and we all attack one issue at a time. We may ask you to do something and report back. Please try your hardest to keep from "finding and fixing" other things while in there as it may change the symptoms. If you do see something out of sorts, get a picture of it for us please.

ok,
now, did you burp all of the air out when you broke the cooling system? Air in the cooling system will cause the temp gauge to freak out.
Sometimes it takes me several "burps" to get all the bubbles out, as the heater core is higher than the radiator cap. Since bubbles go up, try to jack the front up as high as you can, leave the rad cap off and run the engine with the heater on.

Once it warms up, you will see coolant movement, and should see the level go down. Turn off the engine and listen for bubbling. Re fill the radiator and start the engine again. Repeat this until it stays full. It may take 30 minutes or so--seriously.

Also-after the complete burp

rev the engine, and the coolant level should drop-
if it rises up, this "may" indicate positive pressure in the cooling system, from combustion pressure, which, would confirm a head gasket leak.

I would also like to see the engine vacuum. A cheap vacuum gauge is a very handy tool. See if you might borrow or buy one.

The oil sender unit can be an issue. since they are about 7 dollars it would be a good idea to eliminate it as a "symptom" or if it is a problem in itself.

i understand Fully my point on the "Other guy" was..why sell a truck out and leave important Details out..but yes i am calming down and getting him out of the situation whats done is done...

i will try and test the system right now and see if all the Air is out and get that all sorted out..

As far as the Oil pressure..Would a Bad Clogged CAT.Have ANYTHING To do with this?i mean i really see it going down when i hear that poping sound out of the Exhaust almost sounds like out of my cat..it like JUMPS down and goes back up...its weird??...but ill keep searching..Im more of a motorcycle Mechanic..cars Confuse me sometimes haha

I am assuming the "popping" sound is actually a misfire. Forget the cats for a bit now.

If you have a misfire, the engine speed will stumble, and, oil pressure will drop--;)

subscribing i have a very similar issue. i dont have the "milkshake" in the oil but my car smokes untill it gets hot. then it just makes fumes i suppose. the smoke seems bitter but my fluids look so far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am assuming the "popping" sound is actually a misfire. Forget the cats for a bit now.

If you have a misfire, the engine speed will stumble, and, oil pressure will drop--;)

I agree to a point..i believe from when i was smoking out my exhaust (blown head gasket) which its not no more since i may have Eliminated it with the bars leak (For now?..But i agree i believe i will need a tune up..head gasket may of carbon up the plugs and such..But i KNOW!! my cat is bad..just had my girlfriend out there rev it a bit and i was Underneath and its making ALL kinds of noises...

Back to the problem on hand im trying to solve..im trying to get my coolants Flowing again..i can see the antifreeze in my rad..but do not see any movement's i believe i have air in the line..I sqeezed all of the hoses and there Dry no coolant flowing..whats the Simpliest Method to bleeding the air out??(Im hoping that **** i put in for the head gasket didnt clog **** up)But after i was done draining that coolant putting that stuff in the other night..i didnt try to bleed it or nothing..i just put coolant in and off to work i went haha..so im assuming thats the problem with the coolant system right now??

Back