Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

94 explorer brakes

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by madmongodog, July 28, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. madmongodog

madmongodog New Member

City, State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 explorer eddie bauer
    I have a 94 the problem is with the brakes. The brakes a heating up so bad that they smell like they are burning, and the manual hub centers melted (plastic). The bearings were changed, the calipers, the rotors,
    Brake pads. The wheels rotate freely when the truck is lifted off the ground so the calipers are not hanging up. I just don't
    Know where to turn, even the dealer does not know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jim

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. OneBadExplorer

OneBadExplorer New Member

City, State:
    Michigan
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '94 Sport
    Oh my favorite the phantom brake hangup. :)

The first thing I look at is the calipers. If they are free and the pads are on right the only thing left is the hoses. I would assume this is only on one side? The liner of the brake hase over time deteriorates and closes in on itself without any outside wear. When the pedal is depressed the fluid has enough pressure to push by this closure but when you come off the brakes the fluid cannot get back by causing the caliper to hang. If this has been going on for some time I would replace the calipers again. The heat melts the seals inside the caliper and will cause leaks.

Cheers

4. BendixAnswerMan

BendixAnswerMan New Member

A few items that might have a look-see. One of the best times to find out what's up is after the brakes are heated up. Get the wheels off the ground and check the resistance. The dragging will be caused by mechanical binding or residual hydraulic pressure remaining in the system. If you crack open a bleeder and the drag releases then it is hydraulic pressure. Hoses are a common cause of this as suggested in the previous post. You can go to the front line from the master cylinder and loosen it after the brakes have been reapplied to create the drag. If the calipers release, then the vent ports in the master are being covered holding in the pressure. Brake light switch adjustment or contamination behind the rear snap ring in the master can create this issue.
    If you loosen the bleeder and the caliper does not release then it is mechanical drag from the caliper. Pin bores usually get gunked up and stiff. Also any rust or corrosion in the pad sliding areas of the abutments where the pad ends rest can create drag also. Be thorough, it has to be just right.

We Support Our Troops!