Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

94 Explorer died in traffic

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by caddisbluyak, June 23, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. caddisbluyak

caddisbluyak New Member

City, State:
      Flora Vista NM
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 xlt
      Hi I have a 94 explorer, 205k miles on it.I had driven about 40 miles today and it just died in traffic.It would start and die.Police officer pushed me out of traffic. It would not start up again. About 1 hour later it started,ran for a couple min died.2 hours later went to tow it home it started right up.I was able to drive it about 25 miles home without hitch. I did have head gaskets replaced last summer.blown gasket on back end driver side.Any help on where to start checking?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 03whtexpsprt

03whtexpsprt New Member

03 sport
      Do you get a whine noise from the tank when you click it to the "on" position? That is your fuel pump motor sending fuel to the motor. If no noise then 1st check the inertia switch to see it hasnt tripped...see the link below...Then if that doesnt do it, then you could have a bad fuel pump...also it could be a really clogged fuel filter. Try replacing the filter before the pump(unless there is no noise coming from the pump)
      http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242889

4. something9000

something9000 Active Member

City, State:
      naples fl
      1994 navajo
      also check the fuel pump relay it could have gotten loose or the internals are becoming out of spec for proper operation. Did it suddenly loose all power for a second of 2 before it died or running strong them nothing? If its fuel related (pump, relay) then it would sputter for a few then die (like running out of gas). if the other then it might be ecu or sensor related cut that should throw a check engine light.

5. Albino 94LTD

Albino 94LTD Recovering from Moab 2016 Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Newcastle Wa
      White 94 Limited
      Callsign:
      KG7PKQ
      My bet is on the fuel pump relay in the power distribution box under the hood.

Replace with a genuine Ford part not aftermarket, even though they cost more. The first one lasted 205,000 miles and aftermarket one might last 60,000 (been there tried that)

6. caddisbluyak

caddisbluyak New Member

City, State:
      Flora Vista NM
      1994 xlt
      Thanks for suggestions

Due to work Have not had time to check ,But I wanted to say thank you for the help.Will start check tomorrow. Will post any findings.
      Thanks again:usa:

7. caddisbluyak

caddisbluyak New Member

City, State:
      Flora Vista NM
      1994 xlt
      Mech pulled codes

Hi -Took my vacation.
      Now back to reality I took ride to my mech he pulled computer scan codes
      111- system pass
      214- cylinder ID circ failure
      ?- egr .
      CE Light comes on in few seconds after start, stays on
      He believes it is the PCM.
      My Questions are #1-now that i need a PCM, where is a good place to buy one and #2- does it need to be programed for my vehicle vin # and mileage? Ford no longer carries this year. Looking on internet becomes confusing some places say it needs programing others say nothing about it.
      any Help
      Rob