• Register Today It's free!

'94 explorer sport stuck in 4wd

nick_cz

Reaction score
City, State
New Richmond, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 explorer sport
I have a '94 explorer sport with the 4.0 v6, which is stuck in 4wd. I put it in 4wd long enough to get into my parking spot here at my college, but when I went to take it back out wouldn't do anything. I shut the truck off while still in 4wd and immediately restarted it in hopes of that maybe doing something. After restarting it, I tried the 4wd button again, and all of the lights went out, there was no sound from the actuator in the back or anything. I checked and replaced the fuses, did the white button tests with the actuator, and didn't find anything. My truck is stuck in 4wd and when I push the button, nothing happens not even a sound. Has anyone ever had this problem? Do you know how to fix it?? Please help...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Manual or auto hubs? If Auto, sounds like you need to back up with 4WD disengaged to "unlock" your hubs. How do you know you are stuck with 4x4 engaged?

first thing you will want to do is crawl underneath the truck and remove the shift motor from the transfer case and physically look at the dial indicator and see which what position your t-case is in i.e. 2Hi, 4Hi, or 4Lo. if your t-case is in 2Hi and your front axles still 'feel' like they are in 4wd it could be a locked auto hub.

with none of the indicator lights coming on it sounds like it may be a problem with the 4x4 module in the back cargo area tucked forward of the jack compartment. pulling the shift motor and seeing where the indicator is pointed will further help diagnose the problem.. also if it is stuck in 4wd you can get a pair of pliers and turn it to the 2Hi location and be out of 4wd, if your hubs are not an issue.

read through the stickies in the trans, diff, t-case section for more help

Would the problem still lie in the shift motor, even though I am not receiving power at the push button? I don't want to pull the shift motor unless I have to because I am at college right now, and don't have very many tools, or a good place to work on it. If needs be, I can pull the motor as a last result. Thanks for your input though!

Manual or auto hubs? If Auto, sounds like you need to back up with 4WD disengaged to "unlock" your hubs. How do you know you are stuck with 4x4 engaged?

It has Auto hubs.I know its stuck in 4wd, because I can feel the front wheels engage when I move the truck. I have backed up almost a quarter mile with it since I put it in 4wd, and it still wont come out. I can also hear the 4wd clunk because something else is going out on it too, but it only makes the clunk when its engaged in 4wd. Thanks for your input too!

Auto hubs or manual, you have to disengage them both the same way, rotate the wheels the opposite direction from the last direction you were traveling in 4wd. The only difference is the shifter engagement.
Yes, it could be the electrical contacts in the shift motor, they may have gone just beyond the limit point due to a crushed stop bumper. Taking the shift motor off and cleaning the contacts, replacing the stop bumper and changing the shifter on the transfercase to 2wd (that's the default set point for the computer controlled 1-touch 4wd) should only take about 90 minutes, it's really not that hard of a job to do.
Your clunking could be your u-joints on the drive shafts, check all of them, front and back.

stuck in 4wd

I don't know if it will help, but I had a similar experience with my '94 Ranger
5 speed - electronic shift- auto hubs.

I'm guessing you turned into the spot just after engaging 4wd - depending on the pavement, there could be enough force on drive lines to cause tension,
preventing disengagement. A bad auto hub can aggrevate the whole
condition.
I never had to, but you could try jacking one axle, or one at a time, to release the drive line tension, do the front last to feel the wheels free up.

Any time this was happening, the button seemed unresponsive, but if you were patient it would work.

The best thing I ever did, was change to a set of WARN manual locking hubs
$125 I think, maybe a few $ for the axle nuts if you have to buy them extra.
I think I did.

All engagement issues dissapeared, traction much improved.

Good luck

Would the problem still lie in the shift motor, even though I am not receiving power at the push button? I don't want to pull the shift motor unless I have to because I am at college right now, and don't have very many tools, or a good place to work on it. If needs be, I can pull the motor as a last result. Thanks for your input though!

Pulling the shift motor will confirm if the T-case is in 2H or 4H. You will also be able to manually shift it back to 2H with pliers. Did you read through the 4x4 troubleshooting thread? Since the problem appears to be related to the shift motor no longer shifting I would try gently taping the shift motor in an attempt to jar it back into making good contact and see if the button works. The button is powered by the shift module in the rear hatch.. when you press the button it sends this power back to the shift module which will then shift into 4H and then light up the button. If the T-Case doesn't shift into 4H, the button will never light up.

Thanks for all the input. I did read through the 4X4 trouble shooting on this website, along with two other websites. I will try tapping on the shift case, and try jacking each wheel. If neither of these work, then I will pull the shift motor and shift it manually. Thanks so much for all your help, I will post again after I get the chance to work on it again to update on if any of these worked.
-Nick

Thanks for all the input. I did read through the 4X4 trouble shooting on this website, along with two other websites. I will try tapping on the shift case, and try jacking each wheel. If neither of these work, then I will pull the shift motor and shift it manually. Thanks so much for all your help, I will post again after I get the chance to work on it again to update on if any of these worked.
-Nick

Your problem appears to be shift motor related and that it cannot shift out of 4x4.. The weird part is that you indicate the dash light and 4x4 button no longer light up and no longer function when pressed. :scratch: This indicates a failure in the shift module and or shift motor.. The Hubs come into play if you tried pressing the 4x4 button to disengage 4x4, but do to some torque wind up on the drive train the shift motor could not shift (sort of like not being able to turn the ignition key unless you move the steering wheel slightly).. I would try disconnecting the battery to reset the shift module, then pressing 4x4 to see it works.. If not gently tap the shift motor... Just my $0.02...

Your problem appears to be shift motor related and that it cannot shift out of 4x4.. The weird part is that you indicate the dash light and 4x4 button no longer light up and no longer function when pressed. :scratch: This indicates a failure in the shift module and or shift motor.. The Hubs come into play if you tried pressing the 4x4 button to disengage 4x4, but do to some torque wind up on the drive train the shift motor could not shift (sort of like not being able to turn the ignition key unless you move the steering wheel slightly).. I would try disconnecting the battery to reset the shift module, then pressing 4x4 to see it works.. If not gently tap the shift motor... Just my $0.02...

I did try leaving the battery completely disconnected for about fifteen minutes in hopes that it would reset its self. I also tried the two tests on the module in the back of the truck. when I did the test without the wires connected, the light flashed four times, indicating that the module was alright internally. I also did the test with the wires connected and the light stayed lit. I'm told that this indicates that there is a problem in either the switch or the module its self. I'm not totally sure if this is correct or not though. :(

I did try leaving the battery completely disconnected for about fifteen minutes in hopes that it would reset its self. I also tried the two tests on the module in the back of the truck. when I did the test without the wires connected, the light flashed four times, indicating that the module was alright internally. I also did the test with the wires connected and the light stayed lit. I'm told that this indicates that there is a problem in either the switch or the module its self. I'm not totally sure if this is correct or not though. :(

The shift motor test is only applicable when the wire connectors are Disconnected. As such it appears the shift module is fine, the issue lies in the shift motor, Button, or wiring.. (in order of probability). Are you sure the shift module makes No relay noise when you press the 4x4 Button?

The shift motor test is only applicable when the wire connectors are Disconnected. As such it appears the shift module is fine, the issue lies in the shift motor, Button, or wiring.. (in order of probability). Are you sure the shift module makes No relay noise when you press the 4x4 Button?

Yeah, I had my girlfriend press the 4X4 button while I sat next to the module in the back, and unfortunately it doesn't make any noises at all. :( I also laid under the truck by the shift motor and had her try it again, and there weren't any noises there either. Thanks for all the ideas!

Back