'94 Explorer with 293000 miles question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'94 Explorer with 293000 miles question

Mayhem Indz

Reaction score
City, State
Pismo Beach, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I have a 94 explorer with 293000 miles on it right now but it runs fine and I was just wondering how much longer do you guys think it will last? And would I be able to put a 4.0 from a 1999 explorer in it with a little modification?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mayhem Indz said:
I have a 94 explorer with 293000 miles on it right now but it runs fine and I was just wondering how much longer do you guys think it will last? And would I be able to put a 4.0 from a 1999 explorer in it with a little modification?

WOW :eek: Impressive milage. Engines will last forever... just gotta keep up with the maintenence. As for the 1999 engine - I doubt it would be a simple swap. I'm sure the wiring is compeltly different. I think you'd probably have to change out the tranny too.

Gotta love the OHV. I've seen Aerostars with that engine with 300-500k on them being used as airport shuttles. I'm only at 114k, hopefully mine will last that long.

A '99 engine swap would probably involve converting all the engine control systems to OBDII, using a '99 Computer. As said above, you might have to switch to a 5r55e transmission too, unless you got a manual computer. I doubt there is a way to use the existing '94 wiring, but I could very well be wrong.

We have 310,000 miles on ours... Our motor is still doing well.. I have 160 compression all the way around EXCEPT for one cyl that has 130. The tranny has died again on ours (700r4 is sitting in the crate to get installed as soon as I get a weekend free)...

I don't have the factory springs or ring and pinions or shocks or brakes but the rest of the stuff seems fine.. I'm gonna keep our going as long as I can...

The '99 motor has a different head and I've read conflicting reports that you can't use the older computer with the newer style heads... but I don't know that for sure...

~Mark

Mine has 435,000 on it.

Greddy X-Plorer said:
Mine has 435,000 on it.

You have a 98 with that much on it? Thats over 62,000 miles a year! :eek:

Nah, I was just Bull $hitting! LOL!!! I only 80K on it

Mayhem Indz said:
I have a 94 explorer with 293000 miles on it right now but it runs fine and I was just wondering how much longer do you guys think it will last?

I've only got about 230k and I think everyone will agree, if you keep up with the maintenance, the engine will outlive the body.

Greddy X-Plorer said:
Nah, I was just Bull $hitting! LOL!!! I only 80K on it

I was gonna say...62,000 a year works out to 170 a day, which is near impossible... :burnout:

Not impossible. If I kept my past job, I would be putting about that much on the xploder. I drove 150 mi. round trip every Mon-Fri to work, not including what I put on it after I got home from work. I only did that for about 1 year till that was the end of that long trip everyday.

..I bought my 94 Ranger w/89k on it ....I've had it for 7 weeks and it now reads 198k....my average mileage is 1000 a week ....
so that is 52 k a year .....I live 20 miles out of town ....and work 6 days a week , once I get to town I have to drive all over , like I said , average a thou a week .....I'm a drver ...

Mayhem Indz said:
And would I be able to put a 4.0 from a 1999 explorer in it with a little modification?

You could put a 4.0 OHV in from a 1999 truck. The easiest way would be to get a wrecked 99 (or whatever late-model you want to use) with engine and transmission undamaged, buy the wreck, sit the trucks side-by-side, and swap out the 99's engine, transmission, computer, and wiring harness. That way, you would have most of the parts you need sitting right there. Do not try to use your existing 1994 wiring harness and computer with a late-model drivetrain.

Still, some modding would probably come up...namely regarding the motor mounts (I'm not sure how they would fit up). It always does with swaps, unless it's same model year into same model year.

My 93 has 356K on the stock drive train. The motor sometimes has significant ping, but it has been an incredibly reliable vehichle. When it dies, I'll probably throw in another OHV and go 350,000 more miles.

With the 5-speed, the 1st gen drivetrain is pretty darn good.
So's the Jeep I-6 or whatever it's called.

ashleyroachclip said:
..I bought my 94 Ranger w/89k on it ....I've had it for 7 weeks and it now reads 198k....my average mileage is 1000 a week ....
so that is 52 k a year .....I live 20 miles out of town ....and work 6 days a week , once I get to town I have to drive all over , like I said , average a thou a week .....I'm a drver ...

I think your math is a little off there... 109k miles in 7 weeks would be pretty impressive though =)

Greetings!

I just joined this site because I have what I considered to be a high milage '96 Explorer XLT (245,000) and I wanted to see how much longer I could expect it to last.

Seems like it is just getting broken in!

My father in law noticed how many miles I had on it, and was (is?) going to give me a really good deal on a 2002 Explorer Sport Trac XLT Sport with a V-6 with 32,000 miles.

He bought it wrecked and repaired it (he has been in the business for 50 years, and does extremely high quality work). He was going to let me have it for what he has in it ($14,753). I really wanted to do it, but if I can get another 100K out of what I have now, I would prefer to save the money!

From what I have read on here, that seems entirely possible- I love that damn '96!

ive got 211k and it still runs damn good.

Only from the help threads here that I have seen do I say this, but I am a little leery of the 2002's. Might post a thread asking 2002 owners their experiences. I may be off base, i just seems like 2002's come up a lot.

Glacier991 said:
Only from the help threads here that I have seen do I say this, but I am a little leery of the 2002's. Might post a thread asking 2002 owners their experiences. I may be off base, i just seems like 2002's come up a lot.
Glacier, I did a search, could not come up with much as to 02s plus.
Why are you leery of them?
Granted the piston design is differant, makes a little more H.P than 01s, but other than that, cannot find any other issues

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless your completely in love with your explorer for some reason, it would be extremely cheaper to just sell your old one, and buy a new explorer with a 4.0

Back