• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer wont start

slowtruggy

Reaction score
City, State
lumberton tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer
my 94 explorer won't start it turns over great just won't start up what to check

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shoot some starting fluid down the intake, preferably in the oil fill cap hose that goes into the intake tube, this won't mess with the MAF and will make it relatively easy to spray. If it starts, your problem is fuel. Maybe a relay, maybe the pump...

Check if it's got spark. I prefer the coil pack test:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/CoilPackTest.jpg
And then hook up an in-line tester on a few plugs. If you don't have spark then it could be anything from coil pack to ECM not receiving the signal (crankshaft sensor?) or a bad fuse.

If the vehicle was running and suddenly isn't, it probably not compression related. Fuel & spark are complex systems when you really start digging into them and any one thing can cause them to fail.

ok sprayed throttle body spray in it starts and runs just fine and can shut off and will start back up crazy any ideas

So, once you start it on spray, it will stay running on it's own? You can then restart it and it's fine?

If so, I'd be thinking about the ECT (coolant) and IAT (air temp) sensors. Cheap & easy to replace. If you have a multimeter, you can probe them for proper resistance. The ECT should read more than 20k ohms, anywhere from 20k to 70k depending on how cold it is. I believe the IAT should be similar. The ECT is directly under the throttle body and the IAT is screwed into the upper intake manifold between the idle air control valve and the vacuum line tree.

check fuel in tank fuel pump connections and replace filter if it has not been changed for a while

Is it possible the fuel pump inertia switch was tripped? If this issue came on suddenly, I would suspect that. As the vehicles get older, that stuff seems to trip easier. Mine tripped when I was working on the SAS and I spent three days trying to figure out why it would not start. The switch is located on the top edge of the carpet on the passenger side of your transmission tunnel at the firewall. Push the button down to reset.

Turn key to on postion....Do you hear the fuel pump whine? If not you need to replace relay.....

He says it stays running so it can't be fuel pump related or compression or spark. It's got to be either the fuel rail leaking down entirely or the ECT/IAT sensors reporting the engine is at temperature (faulty) or something along those lines.

Back