Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

94 explorer wont start

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by slowtruggy, November 30, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. slowtruggy

slowtruggy New Member

City, State:
    lumberton tx
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 explorer
    my 94 explorer won't start it turns over great just won't start up what to check

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 Blue Bomb!

1991 & 1994 Explorers
    Shoot some starting fluid down the intake, preferably in the oil fill cap hose that goes into the intake tube, this won't mess with the MAF and will make it relatively easy to spray. If it starts, your problem is fuel. Maybe a relay, maybe the pump...

Check if it's got spark. I prefer the coil pack test:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/CoilPackTest.jpg
    And then hook up an in-line tester on a few plugs. If you don't have spark then it could be anything from coil pack to ECM not receiving the signal (crankshaft sensor?) or a bad fuse.

If the vehicle was running and suddenly isn't, it probably not compression related. Fuel & spark are complex systems when you really start digging into them and any one thing can cause them to fail.

4. slowtruggy

slowtruggy New Member

City, State:
    lumberton tx
    1994 explorer
    ok sprayed throttle body spray in it starts and runs just fine and can shut off and will start back up crazy any ideas

5. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 Blue Bomb!

1991 & 1994 Explorers
    So, once you start it on spray, it will stay running on it's own? You can then restart it and it's fine?

If so, I'd be thinking about the ECT (coolant) and IAT (air temp) sensors. Cheap & easy to replace. If you have a multimeter, you can probe them for proper resistance. The ECT should read more than 20k ohms, anywhere from 20k to 70k depending on how cold it is. I believe the IAT should be similar. The ECT is directly under the throttle body and the IAT is screwed into the upper intake manifold between the idle air control valve and the vacuum line tree.

6. Rickademus

Rickademus Elite Explorer

City, State:
    English guy from London
    1995 Audi A6, 05 Explorer
    check fuel in tank fuel pump connections and replace filter if it has not been changed for a while

7. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    Is it possible the fuel pump inertia switch was tripped? If this issue came on suddenly, I would suspect that. As the vehicles get older, that stuff seems to trip easier. Mine tripped when I was working on the SAS and I spent three days trying to figure out why it would not start. The switch is located on the top edge of the carpet on the passenger side of your transmission tunnel at the firewall. Push the button down to reset.

8. slowtruggy

slowtruggy New Member

City, State:
    lumberton tx
    1994 explorer
    thanks it's still running

9. mgmgmg

mgmgmg Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Plymouth, MN
    '94 LTD '10 LTD V8
    Turn key to on postion....Do you hear the fuel pump whine? If not you need to replace relay.....

10. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 Blue Bomb!

1991 & 1994 Explorers
    He says it stays running so it can't be fuel pump related or compression or spark. It's got to be either the fuel rail leaking down entirely or the ECT/IAT sensors reporting the engine is at temperature (faulty) or something along those lines.