94 Explorer XL 4 dr 4WD

explorerxstacee

Reaction score
City, State
rutherford, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
94 Explorer XL Stuck in 1st Gear Pls HELP!!! AUTOMATIC

I was driving my truck home and noticed that when i took the exit off the GS Parkway, my car wouldn't accelerate.. So, i pulled over and got out.. The engine was smoking.... There was tranny fluid all over the place!! The transmission hose had burst. That's what caused the smoke... I had it towed home but after replacing the hose and refilling the tranny with fluid, the truck won't accelerate past 1st gear.. it won't shift out of 1st.. reverse works fine...but can't drive more than 20 mph.. What could this be caused by.. The tranny worked fine before the incindent and never had any problems... has 113K miles.

I have to ask, so I know what hose we're talking about. Are we talking about one of the cooler hoses that goes to the radiator, or the vacuum hose going between the engine and the transmission. If the latter (kind of what I would guess), then you probably still have a bad vacuum modulator (since you didn't mention replacing it). That hose should never see ATF, unless the modulator diaphragm has ruptured. Even with the new hose, I would half expect that you're still sucking ATF into the engine.

Well, there may have been damage done to the transmission when it lost all that fluid--a trans needs the fluid to control heat and lubricate itself. Without fluid, it can overheat quickly, causing damage.

Back