94 Limited hard starting transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Limited hard starting transmission

papajim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
I have a 94 limited with a sketchy tranny. It shifts really hard into 1st but after it shifts its fine and once it is in gear it runs good but getting it to shift into 1st/forward after taking it out of gear you have to rev the motor fairly high. It doesn't matter if its hot or cold and it has no problem shifting into reverse just forward. Any suggestions/ideas/fixes? ie where/what to look at. I also have a loud clunk happening in the front end. most likely with the wheel assembly or shocks?

Does the clunking happen when you go over bumps or turn? Most likely ball joints or radius arm bushing issues. As for the tranny, try changing (not flushing) the fluid and replacing the filter, replace the fluidi with factory spec fluid. Don't get the "upgraded/improved/whatever" crap that's out. Get the fluid type stamped on the dipstick, and only that kind. Come to think of it, make sure your fluid isn't currently low. Cheap and easy first. It could be something else, but I'd start there.

Let us know how it goes!

thank you for the reply. the transmission was repaired less than 100 miles ago. its a looooong story. new seals, filters and fluid (what is stamped on dipstick). worked great at first and now it is deteriorating. yes that is exactly when it clunks, when I turn or go over a bump. I was told to replace the hubs on the front but that didn't make sense as its not something that would clunk. the ball joints or radius arm make much more sense.

Back