94 OHV swap into 92. No spark.

acschilling

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I have someone swapping the motor out of my 92 5 speed with a 94. 92 ran just had a wicked knock. Just got a call that it isn't getting spark with the 94. A couple of threads I've found have concluded that switching the ICM has provided the spark needed to fire. I'm curious about what happens with the cam sensor on a 94 motor when it's put into a 92 that has no cam sensor? Just leave it? Are the ICMs programmed differently?

I'm hoping to get some answers from those who have done swaps from 93 and later OHVs into simpler, older 91 and 92 explorers! I'm hoping to pass on your guy's knowledge! Love my truck. Always appreciate the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cam sensor will just sit there in your older engine bay. All it needs to do is drive the oil pump.

Check the wiring to the crank sensor, you might even take the crank sensor from the older engine and see if this makes a difference.

The wiring to the crank sensor is easily damaged during an engine swap. The ICM should be identical.

I know that the 94 used sequential fuel injection, and that the 92 used "batch fire". I don't know that there would be an issue with that, but it's definitely something to check, and I (think) a pcm swap would fix that. Good luck with it!

I know that the 94 used sequential fuel injection, and that the 92 used "batch fire". I don't know that there would be an issue with that, but it's definitely something to check, and I (think) a pcm swap would fix that. Good luck with it!

PCM swap would require a complete engine wire harness swap also.

I'd recommend using the 92 harness and ecm, use the 92 intake manifold to get rid of the egr. trying to fit the newer harness and ecm into the older truck will be a headache. I think the 94 will require 2 oxygen sensor inputs, where the 92 has only one oxygen sensor , as one example.

I've swapped my 1994 ICM into my 1991 (and vise-versa) to see if my 1991 was problematic. Both vehicles have been working for months that way, there's a minor difference but they work the same. Injectors wouldn't matter either, I've got the newer injectors in my 1991 and they work perfectly fine.

See if there's voltage on the injectors. If not then you know that there's a crank signal problem.

I've swapped my 1994 ICM into my 1991 (and vise-versa) to see if my 1991 was problematic. Both vehicles have been working for months that way, there's a minor difference but they work the same. Injectors wouldn't matter either, I've got the newer injectors in my 1991 and they work perfectly fine.

See if there's voltage on the injectors. If not then you know that there's a crank signal problem.
The injector wiring is definitely different from batch to sequential..sequential will have a independent ground running to each injector. .the injector themselves are the same,or one may be single hole and other a 3 hole

The injector wiring is definitely different from batch to sequential..sequential will have a independent ground running to each injector. .the injector themselves are the same,or one may be simgle one and other a 3 hole
I wasn't sure if he was asking about the injectors or injector harness. The harness is different but the injectors can be swapped around, many vehicles use that style.

i personally swapped a 94 motor in place of my stock 92 motor. i removed the egr and plug welded the hole in the exhaust manifold. then swapped the injectors from my 92 motor into the 94 due to the different color. i used the 92 upper intake also. as for the cam sync in the 94 i just left it there. i used the stock 92 wiring harness, computer, everything. and it worked, runs great!

it is possible and pretty painless! check my registry for proof and more info

Cool. It's in. Running well. Just waiting to see how the lifters age.

Back