94 X white smoke after adding fuel injector cleaner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 X white smoke after adding fuel injector cleaner

Fernando Uribe

Reaction score
City, State
Weslaco
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
So I added lucas high mileage fuel injector cleaner to my 94 X on an empty tank and it caused it to shoot out alot of white smoke. I did some driving on the highway and after a while it went away. Then on idle it comes back. I shut it down for a few minutes and starting it up again it became hesitant. Is this normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After you added the cleaner to an empty tank, did you then fill the tank?

All the way, or just partly. Those cleaners are designed to be diluted by gas. Damage can occur if a higher concentrate is ran through the injectors.

Any particular reason you ran injector cleaner through the system?

I poured the whole small bottle in and then filled it up with gas. Its day 2 and the smoke has died down alot more than yesterday.

All the way, or just partly. Those cleaners are designed to be diluted by gas. Damage can occur if a higher concentrate is ran through the injectors.

Any particular reason you ran injector cleaner through the system?

I wouldn't worry about it then. I use Seafoam and had the same thing happen. You probably won't see the smoke completely go away till you empty the tank again.

I wouldn't worry about it then. I use Seafoam and had the same thing happen. You probably won't see the smoke completely go away till you empty the tank again.

Ah okay thanks! It also slightly gave me a rough idle on the first day too. Anything I should be concerned?

I use marvel mystery oil in my gas
Keeps everything clean and the truck runs smoother to

I know it works bc I took it all apart and seeing is believing
I use it on every fill up:)

Ah okay thanks! It also slightly gave me a rough idle on the first day too. Anything I should be concerned?

Might just be the computer adjusting for the extra flow from the injectors now that they are clean or, more likely, adjusting for what the chemical in the cleaner did to the octane level of the gas.

Might just be the computer adjusting for the extra flow from the injectors now that they are clean or, more likely, adjusting for what the chemical in the cleaner did to the octane level of the gas.
Makes sense, other than that it works good. I'll try marvel mystery oil next time. The product I had used was Lucas High mileage fuel injector cleaner.

A little update as of today:

So I replaced my spark plugs and I noticed #1 and #2 were wet with gas (alot more on #2) as well as the fuel filter and O2 sensors. The car runs more stable, but it seems a little rough on the idle. However it smokes pretty much alot still and I noticed in the #2 area, the exhaust manifold was wet with gasoline. Is this normal?

Sounds like a leaky injector. Might be time to replace the o rings. Maybe the cleaner dislodged some dirt and now it’s leaking

Sounds like a leaky injector. Might be time to replace the o rings. Maybe the cleaner dislodged some dirt and now it’s leaking
Looks like I'm gonna have to remove then tomorrow morning. I have fuel pressure going into the rails and back.

Having gas spraying on hot surfaces is not really too safe. I would get that taken care of sooner rather than later
If the fuel is spraying out, you have pressure. Think about it

Having gas spraying on hot surfaces is not really too safe. I would get that taken care of sooner rather than later

Good thing I wont use it right away though. Would the microfilter replacement help too?

Good thing I wont use it right away though. Would the microfilter replacement help too?

IMHO no reason not to replace the screens if you are going to remove the injectors and replace the o rings anyways. Might want to soak the injectors in cleaner too in a bucket overnight but that might be overkill.
All that stuff is pretty cheap

IMHO no reason not to replace the screens if you are going to remove the injectors and replace the o rings anyways. Might want to soak the injectors in cleaner too in a bucket overnight but that might be overkill.
All that stuff is pretty cheap
Hmm.. what kind of cleaner would that work?

Another update as of today

So i replaced the fuel injectors with some spare ones I kept around...whoo-ee! The explorer fired right up and now acted much like it never happened :D had to wait a while to let the raw fuel burn off and then I took it for a spin. But now I know that Lucas High Mileage Fuel Injector Cleaner really messes up the fuel injectors :( I'll never do that again.

Back