1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

'94 XLT -can't get motor assembly back onto transfer case

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by johnhon, December 18, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. johnhon

johnhon New Member

City, State:
      Amherst, MA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 XLT
      I removed the motor assembly on the transfer case of my 4x4 and am having a h--- of a time trying to fit the triangular pin on the case into the motor. Everything is oriented correctly, but it won't go. Am I doing something wrong or do I just need a bigger hammer? :D I already tried filing the pin a bit, but that didn't help. Thanks for any input.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Brain

Brain Active Member

City, State:
      Golden, CO
      '92 4X EB and '91 4X XLT
      OH MY!!!! DON'T FILE THE PIN!! It will cause too much slop in a situation where there is already too much slop (at least for my liking).

The three bolts (torx) that hold on the cover can be removed (mark an alignment mark first) and the gear inside can be pushed out from the back (where you see the female part of the triangle-ish pin)....do that, then put the four (normal) bolts that hold the motor and gear case back on (use some sealant to make it weatherproof), then put the large gear back into the gear case making sure you can see which way the triangle-ish selector is pointing. Then all you have to do is re-align the cover so that all the contacts are made at the right time (which should be where the match-marks you made before disassembling it match up).

4. johnhon

johnhon New Member

City, State:
      Amherst, MA
      94 XLT
      Thank you Brain. It worked like a charm and I'm now plowing through the snow, in a one horse open sleigh.. Merry Christmas. I love this forum...