94 xlt project | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 xlt project

Just started working on getting my 94 Explorer off-road ready, so I'll be visiting the site a lot for questions and opinions.

So far I'm on 31x10.5/15 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities and Pro Comp wheels. The tires hum when you get up to speed but it don't bother me none. They do rub when making a sharp turn, but a little trimming should fix that. Soon to come is a 4" lift and maybe 33s. In the meantime I'm gonna run a 2" lift with shackles and coil spacers. I'm hoping to get a flowmaster and some fog lights when I can. Also my KKM intake should arrive tomorrow.
Plenty more to be done, but I think I'm off to a good start.

2lc1iye.jpg

23jiwzq.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the rear AAL's on. It took unnecessarily long. The center pin provided in the kit sucks and no stores around me carry extended U bolts in the right size. I ended up finding a shop that replicated my stock U bolts, had them done in 5 minutes. Putting on the coil springs in the morning. I hope it's a simpler process than the rear was.

97l7km.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I used the Moog K80109 camber bushings. They're full adjustable up to 4 degrees so there's no swapping them in and out.

You have to make sure the pinch bolt it properly torqued (~90-100ft-lbs). The shop that did my alignment didn't and the inner piece of the adjuster rotated and the camber went extremely negative. Brought it home the second time and got a few turns on the bolt.

Nice thanks. Will the unused camber affect the caster at all with these adjustable bushings?

That's the nice thing with these. There is an eccentric within an eccentric so the caster can be set as well as camber.

I used the Moog K80109 camber bushings. They're full adjustable up to 4 degrees so there's no swapping them in and out.

You have to make .

Are you sure you get 4 degrees on the 4x4 axle? The reason I ask is that the SPC camber cams give 3.5 degrees on a 4x2 but only 2. something degrees on a 4x4.

~Mark

I can only go by what the description says. I do know they will give a good bit of negative camber with 2 inch coil spacers.

I got the coil springs in last night. I disconnected the brake lines to put them in and I lost a lot of fluid. Now there's no tension in the brake pedal. I'm gonna bleed the brakes today and hope that fixes everything.

Looking forward to seeing it Leveled out ,It's Coming along Nicely !! , I like my Skyjacker front lift , Just wish the Coils were not so Soft

Brakes are good now. It rides nice and looks sick. I'm getting it aligned tomorrow so ill post pics soon.

s4ntc7.jpg

How is Australia this time of year?

Man, you really DO need to go get that alignment. LOL.

Haha I shoulda known...

Put on all new shocks today since the stock ones were done for. All skyjackered out on 2" haha. While I was putting the lug nuts back on I managed to strip one and bend the stud, so I just ordered all black lug nuts to match the wheels. I'm hoping I can straighten the stud back out. Also cut the U-bolts shorter after the pic was taken.

14u9puu.jpg

Replace the stud. Do not straighten it.

You need to replace it. Otherwise it will probably snap when your torquing a lug nut or when your pulling it off.

~Mark

Yeah...replacing is pretty easy. Remove drum, pound old one out pound new one end replace drum done

Nice, glad it's a simple process.

I'd like to put on a new exhaust next, but first I gotta take care of the head gasket cover. No fun.

added bed liner to the cargo area

2hdo2s7.jpg

Back