94 xlt project | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 xlt project

Just started working on getting my 94 Explorer off-road ready, so I'll be visiting the site a lot for questions and opinions.

So far I'm on 31x10.5/15 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities and Pro Comp wheels. The tires hum when you get up to speed but it don't bother me none. They do rub when making a sharp turn, but a little trimming should fix that. Soon to come is a 4" lift and maybe 33s. In the meantime I'm gonna run a 2" lift with shackles and coil spacers. I'm hoping to get a flowmaster and some fog lights when I can. Also my KKM intake should arrive tomorrow.
Plenty more to be done, but I think I'm off to a good start.

2lc1iye.jpg

23jiwzq.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice Looks Good , Doing More than just the Cargo area ?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i have another can left so I'd like to coat the whole floor. i used herculiner which i don't think is uv resistant, but my windows are pretty well tinted so hopefully i'm good haha.

Lurked the forum yesterday and found the throttle cable mod and the IAC valve cleaning thread. Did those and I'm pleased with both. Now I have a question. I found some 3.73 gears out of a 2nd gen. Is it worth my time to install these or should I wait for a deal on some 4.10s or 4.56s? I plan on running 33s in the future. Also keep in mind it's on the road most of the time.

you are really gonna want at least 4.10's with 33's. On road the 4.56 might be a bit too much gearing

Thanks, I'll hold out then.

I'm using stock 3.73 gearing with 33"s And its Not Too Bad on the mileage and actual Performance . But a Change to 4.10's Would be Quite nice for me !

got a set of vent visors. i haven't put the rear ones on yet. first i want to fix the auto windows since these are the in-channel visors.
15p0o43.jpg

added a maglite mount in my cargo area
2cr0xoj.jpg

the next few things on my list are to install new gears, an exhaust system, and get rid of all leaks.

For $60 and manual hubs, I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

I have a whole donor Jeep sitting at my house but I decided a 30 was too light for our trucks. Jeeps are just so much lighter than the explorers and STs, plus running bigger tires which puts a lot of strain on the axle. Just my 2 cents though.

I'd pass on both axles. The first one listed has drum brakes so it's really old and gonna cost big $$ to convert. The second axle is bare bones axle assembly tube with gears, nothing else. PASS, just my opinion.

I didn't notice they were drums. Welllll if you want a whole cherokee minus an engine for a couple hundred I've gotcha covered.

Would you mind putting up a couple more. One from outside the truck. I still can't decide between a loud delta 40 or the loved super turbo.

Will do man, just waiting for the weather to clear up or to at least get some snow. It's got a really mild tone but sounds nice when you get on it. It's just what I wanted and I got it bolted on in no time.

Really appreciate it

Just replaced the upper/lower intake manifold and valve cover gaskets, got a new intake hose off another 1st gen to replace my old rubber cemented torn one, and found a 1st gen hitch receiver for $25. Took it wheelin yesterday.

2znslr8.jpg

2rehdah.jpg

e5phn8.jpg

Thinking about selling these tires and wheels for some 32" classic goodyear mtr's I found locally and mounting my stock wheels on them. Also looking around for an electric fan to replace my cracked one.

New battery, cables and alternator installed. No more starting problems. Now I'm just trying to regear soon! I'm selling my rear 4.10s and my tires/wheels. PM me if anyone's interested.

I got a rear end and master cylinder out of a 2000 4-door with 4.10 gears, so I'll be doing the disk brake conversion soon. Now I just need to decide whether to swap it in and regear the front to 4.10, or throw in some 4.56's all around. Either way is a big improvement over my 3.27's. I'm leaning towards the 4.56's with an aussie locked rear with 31 inch rubber.

Also really tempted to get a dana44 with 4.56s and a detroit locker I found on craigslist.

Back