Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

95 A4LD trans

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Hitmanheutel, October 12, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Hitmanheutel

Hitmanheutel New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      95 ford explorer
      I posted about my issues approx. 5 months ago but been traveling a lot just just now working on it. Lost the pump gears in trans. I was thinking about having it rebuilt but I really don’t want to spend that money right now. I searched for transmission years that would be compatible but that only confused me as Ford cannot stay consistent. The best I figure was only 92-95 would work for me. I just want some confirmation before I look and make a mistake.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 96eb96

96eb96 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Albany, NY
      96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
      95 and 96 v6 have a unique transmission - the 4R55E. v6 4.0 rangers of those years could be a match too. Other Rangers got a 4R44E, which is probably a match but a weaker unit.

97 has a 5 speed and 94 the A4LD, which is very different.

4. Hitmanheutel

Hitmanheutel New Member

95 ford explorer
      As I understand mine is an early 95 and does have A4LD that was probably still left over from 94. It is a t code

5. Hitmanheutel

Hitmanheutel New Member

95 ford explorer
    6. 96eb96

96eb96 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Albany, NY
      96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Hitmanheutel

Hitmanheutel New Member

95 ford explorer
      7EA39F88-A67E-42EE-90D2-C7A272193D51.jpeg So no vacuum modulator, that means I have a narrow selection to 95-96 ex and ranger with 4.0. Ugh. Maybe I will just replace gear in the pump.

8. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      A4LD are only in OBD1 91-94 Explorer's. Don't pay attention to all the parts sites that say 91-95. The reason for all that misprint is this....

95 is still OBD1, but it has the OBD2 transmission & transfercase. Which makes it an OBD1.5. Confusing right? This is why the parts sites are confused as well. They know OBD2 started in 96, and go by OBD1 for 91-95 by mistake for transmission, and other parts on the 95. They still have the differential gears listed as a 1st gen, and confuses the heck out of people.

BTW, That OBD2 interior port on the dash is just a dummy, and serves no purpose really. It was Ford gearing up for the 96 full OBD2 systems. 95 was just a test year for the mandated transition for the operating systems, due to EPA laws passed.

The 95-96 units are the only automatic transmission for a direct replacement, and is incredibly weak. A fully rebuilt unit is the only thing I would install, because of that. When mine decided to start acting up, I simply did a manual swap for 1/10 the cost, and used a stronger 1354 transfercase. Everything but the ECM/harness came out of a 94 ranger. Computer and harness from a manual 95. If I could have found a 95 manual donor, that would have been ideal. I have seen a few manual 95 sports over the years, so I know they are out there.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Hitmanheutel

Hitmanheutel New Member

95 ford explorer
      What would I need to change I I install one from a 97? I have access to one cheaply. The manual swap would be awesome but finding all the components without buying a whole vehicle would be hard around here.

10. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      97 wont work as it uses the 5r55e, and its a 5 speed trans, unlike the 4r55e which is a 4 speed. All the electronics would have to be swapped, in the engine bay, and the dash, including engine harness. But that means you need OBD2 3 wire components for that harness and 97 computer to work.

This is why I said only a 95-96 trans. Only affordable options for a bolt in, is a rebuilt 4r55e, or a manual. Anything else means a lot of custom work, which costs $$, time, and experience to pull off.

11. Hitmanheutel

Hitmanheutel New Member

95 ford explorer
      Ok. I will weigh the options and check availability.

12. 96eb96

96eb96 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Albany, NY
      96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
      A manual is a good option. I think 95-96 4Rs are some of the best (and many got high mileage) because the 5 speed is the same transmission but works the valve body at twice the rate. I have a massive cooler on mine, it is still factory.

I heard you can use any manual up till 2011 on a ranger. The transfercase has the speed sensor ( I believe).