95 A4LD trans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 A4LD trans

Hitmanheutel

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ford explorer
I posted about my issues approx. 5 months ago but been traveling a lot just just now working on it. Lost the pump gears in trans. I was thinking about having it rebuilt but I really don’t want to spend that money right now. I searched for transmission years that would be compatible but that only confused me as Ford cannot stay consistent. The best I figure was only 92-95 would work for me. I just want some confirmation before I look and make a mistake.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

95 and 96 v6 have a unique transmission - the 4R55E. v6 4.0 rangers of those years could be a match too. Other Rangers got a 4R44E, which is probably a match but a weaker unit.

97 has a 5 speed and 94 the A4LD, which is very different.

As I understand mine is an early 95 and does have A4LD that was probably still left over from 94. It is a t code

upload_2018-10-12_19-28-47.png

7EA39F88-A67E-42EE-90D2-C7A272193D51.jpeg
So no vacuum modulator, that means I have a narrow selection to 95-96 ex and ranger with 4.0. Ugh. Maybe I will just replace gear in the pump.

A4LD are only in OBD1 91-94 Explorer's. Don't pay attention to all the parts sites that say 91-95. The reason for all that misprint is this....

95 is still OBD1, but it has the OBD2 transmission & transfercase. Which makes it an OBD1.5. Confusing right? This is why the parts sites are confused as well. They know OBD2 started in 96, and go by OBD1 for 91-95 by mistake for transmission, and other parts on the 95. They still have the differential gears listed as a 1st gen, and confuses the heck out of people.

BTW, That OBD2 interior port on the dash is just a dummy, and serves no purpose really. It was Ford gearing up for the 96 full OBD2 systems. 95 was just a test year for the mandated transition for the operating systems, due to EPA laws passed.

The 95-96 units are the only automatic transmission for a direct replacement, and is incredibly weak. A fully rebuilt unit is the only thing I would install, because of that. When mine decided to start acting up, I simply did a manual swap for 1/10 the cost, and used a stronger 1354 transfercase. Everything but the ECM/harness came out of a 94 ranger. Computer and harness from a manual 95. If I could have found a 95 manual donor, that would have been ideal. I have seen a few manual 95 sports over the years, so I know they are out there.

What would I need to change I I install one from a 97? I have access to one cheaply. The manual swap would be awesome but finding all the components without buying a whole vehicle would be hard around here.

97 wont work as it uses the 5r55e, and its a 5 speed trans, unlike the 4r55e which is a 4 speed. All the electronics would have to be swapped, in the engine bay, and the dash, including engine harness. But that means you need OBD2 3 wire components for that harness and 97 computer to work.

This is why I said only a 95-96 trans. Only affordable options for a bolt in, is a rebuilt 4r55e, or a manual. Anything else means a lot of custom work, which costs $$, time, and experience to pull off.

A4LD are only in OBD1 91-94 Explorer's. Don't pay attention to all the parts sites that say 91-95. The reason for all that misprint is this....

95 is still OBD1, but it has the OBD2 transmission & transfercase. Which makes it an OBD1.5. Confusing right? This is why the parts sites are confused as well. They know OBD2 started in 96, and go by OBD1 for 91-95 by mistake for transmission, and other parts on the 95. They still have the differential gears listed as a 1st gen, and confuses the heck out of people.

BTW, That OBD2 interior port on the dash is just a dummy, and serves no purpose really. It was Ford gearing up for the 96 full OBD2 systems. 95 was just a test year for the mandated transition for the operating systems, due to EPA laws passed.

The 95-96 units are the only automatic transmission for a direct replacement, and is incredibly weak. A fully rebuilt unit is the only thing I would install, because of that. When mine decided to start acting up, I simply did a manual swap for 1/10 the cost, and used a stronger 1354 transfercase. Everything but the ECM/harness came out of a 94 ranger. Computer and harness from a manual 95. If I could have found a 95 manual donor, that would have been ideal. I have seen a few manual 95 sports over the years, so I know they are out there.
A manual is a good option. I think 95-96 4Rs are some of the best (and many got high mileage) because the 5 speed is the same transmission but works the valve body at twice the rate. I have a massive cooler on mine, it is still factory.

I heard you can use any manual up till 2011 on a ranger. The transfercase has the speed sensor ( I believe).

Back