95 ex 351/C6/208-205 doubler - dana 60s in progress | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 ex 351/C6/208-205 doubler - dana 60s in progress

some of you are familiar with my explorer. this is what it looked like a few years ago. i have been visiting the explorer forums since 1998. it was stock when i got it and soon there were 31s on it.
Gabescov.jpg

stock with 3" of lift and 32" BFG Ats
before that was stock with 31"s

then a number of changes began. the biggest was the SAS with a dana30 and 33s
3alapha_4_17_008-med.jpg

after the thrid tranny broke i bought a new DD and thats when the fun began. my plan was to do a V8 drivetrain swap with 3/4 ton or heavier axles and big tires.

here is the primary donor vehicle
3broncobling-med.JPG

85 bronco with 351/C6 and what i think is a NP208 - it may be a bw 13-56 i will find out soon.
the bronco runs great! it has lots of power and runs very very smooth
3351-med.JPG
my plans are simple. keep the motor smooth and strong but add an RV style cam for low end torque. i may do the efi swap down the road (look at http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/cgi-bin/mof.cgi ) if i find the carb is not up to it but since some people claim to go all over tellico with a carburated vehicle then it may stay carbed for a while.

this is what the dodge looked like
3BEAST.jpg

this is what it looks like now
3deaddodge-med.JPG

ive been parting it out.

hereis the rear dana 60 that is going in the explorer, its from the dodge.
3dana60-med.JPG

been raining off and on and working OT but i have gotten some parts

got the tcase the other day. its awesome. i gotta figure a top moutning solution. this mama is huge. im also looking at having to use a rear gas tank for sure. lets hope that the BKO tank will fit.

my GM hub parts got here today. 8lug stuff from a 76 c20. guy even threw in the lockouts that he didnt think he had and that i didint pay for. im totally stoked on this. should have the front end together this week depending on if it all fits on the knuckle with no issues.

tires should be here this week. been one delay after another but they should have left cali via ups on friday.

driveshaft are going to break my budget. 3 custom shafts unless i can find a yoke to fit on the 208 that will fit whatever oddball ujoint this is. i think its a 1310. the front output is a 1350 and the rear is 1410 or seomthign weird that im not familiar with.
hoping that the front output flange from the 203 will fit on the front output of the 205. if not then i wont be able to use my double cardon driveshaft. also front may end up long enough that i might have to do a 2 piece driveshaft. might have to anyway because of the tranny xmember. unless i can clock the tcase down enough that it wont hit or fab up a crazy xmember. not sure.i know i dont want 4 fawking driveshafts on my truck. with front end 2 dc driveshafts, 2 piece front and intermediatte shaft that would be 11 different ujoints!!!

ideas?

the motor is at my uncle's speed shop in covington georgia being rebuilt. Simpson Family Racing. should have a website up soon. the heads are being ported and polished, new rings and seals, a mild cam, and rebuild the carb.

not too much going on as i recently changed jobs and have been in school for the past 4 months.

update of stuff done since last post:
- both axles are hung
- engine bay gutted
- motor mounts fabbed using the stock bronco mounts
- shock hoop for dual shocks fabbed and mounted for front end

i havent decided, and dont have money to at the moment, whether i am going to rebuild the tranny before i put it in or not. it was fine before but it also wasnt pushing 40s.

i was going to tackle the gas tank today or tommorrow. ive got to drain and drop it off the explorer and mount the bko tank in the rear. sounds easy enough but wont know how to really fit the bko tank in until i have it under the ex.

i have a list with it seems like a thousand things on it and im trying to tackle one thing at a time on my days off.

my trusty camera has died but i will be getting a new one very soon as we are going vacation to chicago at the end of the month and will have to have a new one.

thanks for asking. sorry i havent posted in such a long time. i no longer have a desk job. i work for florida DOC on midnights.

Back