Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

95 explorer surging

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by OregonXJ, February 25, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. OregonXJ

OregonXJ New Member

City, State:
    Oregon
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    95 XLT
    Hey everyone,
    I have a 95 explorer that surges very lightly at low speeds. During idle it fluctuates between like 7-800 and 1000. During the idle I can hear the compressor clutch kicking on and then back off. The that time is when the rpms are fluctuating.

Additionally I have the check engine light come on only when I'm driving and then sometimes turns off while driving. It is always off when I start driving, and sometimes does not come on at all on short drives.

I went to Autozone and the guy there hook up a code reader to the plug under the dash but it didn't say anything. Does this year even work with the obdII reader?

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. JHolben

JHolben New Member

City, State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    95 Explorer Sport
    I see this thread was never responded to. FYI -My 95 Explorer w\4.0 EFI has the ports for OBDII under the bottom of the dash above the gas pedal and an OBDI port beside the brake master cylinder under the hood. The OBDII port above the pedal is NOT functional. I must use the OBDI port under the hood. BTW..I have the same problem with my 95 Explorer.