1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

95 Ford Explorer 4wd XLT New Forum Member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by drsing, February 5, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. drsing

drsing New Member

City, State:
    Ft Lauderdale Fl
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1995 Explorer xlt 4wd
    Hello All,

I've been hanging around this forum for a couple of weeks now and have picked up some remarkable tips! I am extremely pleased to be a member and look forward to continuing my education and hopefullly contributing a few nuggets. My background is 17 yrs as an IBM hardware and Systems Engineer followed by just as many doing computer consulting.

Three weeks ago I purchased my 1st Explorer $2400 with all new tires. It was a replacement for a 2003 Dodge Durango that Firestone paid me cash for after one of their shop mechs left my radiator cap loose which destroyed my engine when it redlined after 2 days. My wife drives a 2012 Honda Civic, I needed a tow vehicle for my 21' Galaxy sport express cruiser power boat. I didn't do a lot of research just searched Craigs list for what looked like good buys.

My Explorer looks and runs GREAT, inside is immaculate and most of the paint is very shiny! 1st CD changer in my 61 years! Way better than I would have expected for a 1995 vehicle.

Two days after the purchase I severely overpaid Meineke $502, for a new serpentine belt, rear rotors, ceramic pads and an oil change. They charged me $150 parts for the same 2 rear rotors I could have purchased on the web for $20 + $35 shipping. And $100 for a set of rear ceramic brake pads, I could have purchased for $25.00 Very expensive lesson learned. OUCH! :fire:

Since then I've decided to do all of the maintenance I can myself. And this forum has been a VERY VALUABLE RESOURCE!!!

So far I've picked up the owners docs and case plus window sticker on Ebay for $25, replaced the cruise control switches with remanufactured ones that have leds instead of bulbs $50, swapped out the instrument cluster to fix a lazy oil pressure indicator, and broken odometer and broken trip meter, $60.

Upcoming jobs...

I just picked up a new front passenger window lift mechanism $40. That window gets stuck sometimes. Tried spraying the tracks with silicone which helped a lot, but still gets stuck if lowered more than 10 inches. 6 inches and it will still go all the way back up. Found some great video on Youtube showing how to do this replacement step by step...

My radio just stopped turning off this week, read elsewhere in this forum that the on-off switch is a common headache, read some good tips on how to possibly fix it with puffs of graphite, we'll see... turning it down for now is ok, read here that someone else has been turning their radio down since he can't turn it off for 4 years!:eek:

After swapping out my instrument cluster I found that the previous owner had removed the ABS warning bulb.:thumbdwn: Now I see that indicator is on all the time. From this Forum I discovered that the most common high percentage fix is rear speed sensor. Unable to get the ABS codes read, so far so I took a chance and picked up a sensor today from Advance Auto for $14. Will be installing it today before the Superbowl and after the Miamin Heat win!;)

That's it for the majors, as for minors, I replaced the air filter (it was very, very dirty) Meineke wanted $35 for the part, Advance Auto $14. Looking forward to flushing the front and rear differentials on this 4wd, same for the transmission, and the heating and cooling system.

One other big project I want to tackle is finding ways to improve MPG! With today's gas prices I want to get every possible MPG I can! So I'll be replacing wires, looking for high efficency spark plugs, cleaning the mass air flow sensor, and possibly adding one of the computer assisted chip mods. One claimed a 75hp increase with 7-8 mpg improvement for $59. I am also considering adding a water for GAS HHO system.

As for looks, she is extremely clean! Just a small bald spot on the roof over the middle front window, and a couple of minor rust lines on the roof paint, and a tiny ding on the right rear panel. Gotta see how much to just get those repainted...

I'll be updating the appropriate sections of the forum with specifics on my experiences so far, and into the future.

Thanks again for this wonderful resource!:salute: Looking forward to having lots of fun maintaining this classic auto.

By the way

Game Over!!!

Heat 95!!! Toronto 89!:D

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
  4. drsing

drsing New Member

City, State:
    Ft Lauderdale Fl
    1995 Explorer xlt 4wd
    Thanks for the notice

Hi thanks for noticing. You are right my profile needed the correction. I do indeed have a 1995. It was actually advertised in Craigs List as a 1996 but title said 1995. In this forum I have learned what a big deal that is! Since 95 vs 96 means I have odb1 not odb2. I just purchased an odb1 scanner on Ebay for five bucks. BUT THAT WILL BE NO HELP WITH MY ALWAYS ON ABS LIGHT. I replaced that rear speed sensor tonight no luck?
    ;)
    Anyhow still having fun and looks like more is in store!
    ;)
    Thanks again my profile is now correct.

Congratulations to Super Bowl CHAMPS New York Giants!

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
  6. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    Welcome to the forum!

There are three ABS sensors. Since you replaced the rear, the others are in the front hubs.

Changing a hub is not really a big job, and can be done in the driveway in a short time.

Changing the entire hub is better than changing just the ABS sensor, because they are not cheap, but they are included with the new hub. Make sense?

Added benefit is a new hub of course, as they do wear out, and the ride is night & day with new hubs on.

Oh, and your 4R55E transmission is OBDII. Thats the .5 in your OBDI.5 :)

7. drsing

drsing New Member

City, State:
    Ft Lauderdale Fl
    1995 Explorer xlt 4wd
    Two scanner ports on 1995 Explorer

Hi Pugly,

Thanks for your comments. Good to know I can expect a significant ride improvement when its time to replace those hubs. I am planning to get the codes read b4 I replace anything else. I was a bit intimitated by the paperclip method of reading the ABS codes from the connector under the steering wheel. But after reading it over a few times I'm confident, actually looking forward to it! I read that the sensor on the power master cylinder could also bring on my permanent ABS light.

Will probably get those codes out myself on Saturday. I called two brake speciality shops and got quotes of $45 & $49 to get the codes. The ford dlr wants $150!
    The Actron CP9449 ABS scanner is on Ebay for around $69. Do you know if that scanner works on the socket uder the steering on a 1995 Explorer. Specs say 1996 and beyond only.

THANKS!

Dan

8. drsing

drsing New Member

City, State:
    Ft Lauderdale Fl
    1995 Explorer xlt 4wd
    Pugly,
    You said I have a 4R55E but this chart posted else where in the forum seems to
    say I could have a couple of other types. What led you to say 4R55E?
    Thanks
    Dan

*Transmission Codes*

Code .................. Model
    D (1997-2005) ..... A5LDE / 5R44/55E
    D (1992-1996)...... M5OD-R1
    J ....................... M5OD-R1
    J (2002-2003)...... R1HD / M5OD-R4
    M (2000-2001).....#Mazda#M5D4
    M (1997-1999) .... M5OD-R2
    M (1992-1996) .... M5OD-R1
    R (2002) ............. 5R55W
    T (1992-1995) ..... A4LD
    T (1996-2001) ...... 4R55E
    U ....................... 4R70W
    V ....................... 5R55S
    X ....................... 6R60

9. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    If you have the 4.0L you have the 4R55E. If you have the 5.0L, you have the 4R70W. Those are the only two trans put out for that year in an automatic.

You can get a simple beeping actron reader for less than $30 at most major auto parts stores, and cheaper still on places like Amazon.com

The plug in under the steering column will not retrieve any codes, so just use the one under the hood next to the power distribution box.

10. drsing

drsing New Member

City, State:
    Ft Lauderdale Fl
    1995 Explorer xlt 4wd
    scanner ports and trans mdl

Thank you!

I purchased an Actron CP9015 led and beep scanner for ODB1 Ford and Lincoln vehicles on Ebay for .99 and $5.00 shipping last week. Waiting for delivery this week!
    Can't thank you enough for that info about the under steering diagnostic port. I will stick with using the port beside the power disb box.

Just out of curiosity what is the port under the steering wheel used for?

I do have the 4.0 engine. Greatly appreciate that info on my transmision model.
    So far my trans is working very well including all 4wd settings. I am looking forward to trying it out on some of the South Fl drive on beachs and boat ramps.

I plan on doing a LOT of reading up on proper transmision maint techniques. Ball joints and trans issues are from what I have read so far two areas to monitor carefully on this vehicle. Previous owner already replaced the ball joints. I found a local shop here in Ft Lauderdale that is going to give me a free inspection. They discouraged me from just doing a routine trans flush and fill if all is well.

Thanks again!
    Dan

11. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    If you don't want to wait, you don't even need a scanner- jump the harness and count the flashing CEL...

CLICK ME

My vid is at the bottom. Won't help with ABS, but the trouble codes will show.

12. 1Aauto

1Aauto EF Vendor

City, State:
    mass
    92 explorer
    Welcome to the site

13. field

field Member

City, State:
    California
    99 SOHC 2WD EXPLORER
    I would like to know how to get the CD player to allow another CD to play after removing the last one without having to wait more than 8 hours before it will take another CD without ejecting it. Anyone else have this strange problem?

field

14. Justme63

Justme63 Member

City, State:
    South Central Wisconsin
    1996 Explorer 4.0 4x4 2dr
    If you have a 95 you have the 4R44E, beware of the 2nd gear thunk. These transmissions are weaker than the 4R55E. I have an early 96 and it has the same transmission. They changed to the 4r55E in mid 1996. The early models had on less clutch pack and towing would wear them out, as in my case my truck belonged to a Snowbird who towed between WI and FL. I was able to locate a trans that came from a 95 that never had a hitch attached. I went aftermarket with the stereo which was real easy to install. One question, where did you find the CC switches?

15. field

field Member

City, State:
    California
    99 SOHC 2WD EXPLORER
    CD eject problem solved. Bought a used Ford Mach radio from Pick & Pull for $30. It works better then the one I had in that it includes RDS. Also learned that the CD player is rivited to the radio part. So the CD player can not be sold seperatly.