'95 xl reg cab 4x4 5 speed 2.3l | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'95 xl reg cab 4x4 5 speed 2.3l

...But first...

...I apparently killed the passenger snout (spindle) so I spent yesterday morning at pic a part pulling one off a 94 XL Explorer..The only 4wd X/Ranger in our two pick a parts...:rolleyes:

..Went to find some Timken bearings and only AZ carries them and they are out of stock locally..I'm heading over to the nearby cities tomorrow and trying to find a pair..

..AZ currently has them at $16.99 plus but O'reilly's has Nationals for $18.99 plus...I'm sticking with the proven Timkens...;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I haven't done anything to the truck due to the economy and the rising gas prices (about $4.30)..

..This is actually good news as I am in desperate need of finding some 32x11.50x15 bfg at ko's and tires have gone thru the roof..

..The 32's have been on national back order and I believe I have found a set at a warehouse at retail price..:(

...I was so hoping to find good used ones for a good price but everyone out here are driving them till they have no tread and then asking $50 plus used..:rolleyes:

If you find some 33x12.50 ATs for me, I have 5 good 32s that you can have.

..Matt, I'll keep that in mind as I am looking for 50% or better used/new for my trip next month..I understand your situation too as I keep finding old 33 muds or 35 a/t's..:(

..Dannyboy...Thanks for that link as I have gone to their main page several times and could no longer find that tread pattern...In fact, my next set of tires on the X will probably be their old school MTR tread..:biggthump

..Actually I have a dilemma and it's all about funds...I just need the 32's to last no longer than 6 months, about 7000-10,000 miles at most..

..I have one set of 4:88 gear's and need the other to do the gear swap in the Ranger...Then I will definitely be buying 16" (probably soft 8's) so I can run the 285/75/16 's..Those will definitely be in the treadwrights bfg a/t tread until the ranger makes it close to trailer queen status..

...1 step forward and 2 steps back..:rolleyes:

..I'm down to airing up one of my tires every other day (pinhole leak) and still in need of a good tread spare or two..:(

..I swapped out my bad passenger side spindle (water damage) yesterday with a junk yard one...The jy spindle was still in great shape for being off a 94 X that I could barely get the bearings to slide on as it was so tight..

..and this is pretty common out here on most vehicles after letting them sit a few days and after the southwest heat has worked it's magic on the rubber of the plug wires.

..Condensation will get into the boots of the plug wires..By the time this happens it is already hard to maintain a good seal so new wires will be in order...Thank goodness for the lifetime warranty on these Bosch wires..

..Watch for the arc to the coil pack bolt..:popcorn:

..It's Smog "test only" time and my truck has been fighting me all the way..:rolleyes:

..This has spawned a couple more write ups/updates so stay tuned..:hammer:

..Thanks for the heads up Mounty..:D

..Installed new alternator yesterday..

..Note to self: Quit jumping diesel trucks with totally dead batteries..:rolleyes:

..Well, although I put in all new plugs and wires it took 4 times and I finally got the Ranger to pass Smog Test only by no fault of mine or the Ranger..:mad:

..Wound up having to fix the tail gate, brake light, glove box light, speedo/odometer gear, remove the shell, original bed liner, bed and I think that's about it..:scratch:

..Now that she's good till next year, maybe I can get back to spending some funds to get the mod's going again..:hammer:

Trucks Gone Wild..

..Warning:

..The following picture may not be suitable for all ages..:D

..Yes, It's my Ranger totally naked..This is pretty much how she looked when I first bought her..Well...Maybe a little more stock looking..

0621121134.jpg

And? :confused:

..I was taking advantage of the moment as I needed a before picture..But I must admit, it's sexy...:D

...The after will probably be a 1/2 dozen or so years before the chopping begins..:hammer:

Pickups usually look better without a shell, but they are far more useful with a shell (depending on your use, of course.:p:)

I was never overly thrilled with the look of mine with the shell until after I built the spare tire/Hi-Lift mount rear bumper. Of course, it was still missing a roof rack. Yes, I said was...

..Cause you put a roof rack on made me go out and spend lot's more money than I ain't got today..:mattmoon:...:p:

..I either got committed or made a commitment but it seems Tuesday my Ranger's rear end is getting all freshened up from one end to the other..:hammer:

..Since the pinion seal is leaking at the splines I could do a self repair but I swang by the drive shaft experts shop to have them do a quick inspection while it's still on the truck..

..It appears to be in pretty good shape so I no longer have to worry about if that was wobbling and caused my pinion seal leak..;)

..If I still have any spare change left Tuesday I am wanting to swap out the 2 main u-joints on the drive shaft just for GP...If not, that's something else to add to the list..

Don't blame me - the roof rack has been on the truck for a month! :eek:

..Meh...It's still your fault until I catch up to DB_1...:p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..I should be updating the "Squirrels" "Under the knife" thread with some good news in a couple hours..:D

Back