Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

95 XLT sub installation

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by BrandonB8, September 28, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. BrandonB8

BrandonB8 New Member

City, State:
      St. Louis
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1995 XLT
      I was wondering if somebody could give me some general information about installing a sub w/ the factory radio. I know that I will need a line out converter but was curious if it is difficult to access the rear speaker wires. I have a kicker amp and kicker subs. Also, does anyone know what colors the rear speaker wires are in the 95 edition. I have the factory changer and was curious if I have the amp for the factory speakers also. I believe this is the premium sound system but I do not want to take off the back panel in order to find out. Any help is greatly appreciated in advance.

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MrExplorer

MrExplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Painesville.OH
      97 Sport
      I have a 97 and i think 95-97 are the same. You should have a external amplifier on the pass side behind the cargo panel. If you have a 2 door model its a piece of cake to get the speaker cover off and tap into it there. If its a 4 door you may be able to get a tap elsewhere on the pass side. The colors for the rear speakers for my 97 are (after the factory amp) Brown\pink and orange\red = RH rear speaker , Grey\lt blue and tan\violet = LH rear speaker. If you need the colors before the factory amp i can dig them up, I just wired around my amp for my install so i have notes of the wire colors to the amp if needed.

4. BrandonB8

BrandonB8 New Member

City, State:
      St. Louis
      1995 XLT
      Thanks for the speaker wire color information. I was wondering, though, if I am going to have to bypass the amplifier in order to get my subs to work. I am just wanting to add a decent amount of bass, not rattle the glass out of the back. Will I be alright if I splice in under the molding by the right rear seat. Also, is there any good place to run the power wire to the battery (i.e. a hole somewhere) I am not really new to stereo installs, but I am new to installing with a line level converter and an external amplifer. I have searched the engine extensively and cannot really find an answer to my questions. If anybody has done this install with a factory head unit and external amp, I would appreciate any of your input. I have been waiting for two weeks to do this but am wary of getting into something I do not have the answers to. Thanks in advance for any help.

5. Kevex

Kevex Active Member

City, State:
      edgewater park,nj
      99 XLT
      I'm not sure of the color codes but I think I have heard that if you don't baypass the factory amp, the sound would not be that clean when you install you other components. Other then bypassing the amp, the line output converter just gets connected to the speaker wire from the HU. positive to positive , negative to negative, make sure if you have a four channel converter that you just wire the front to the front and back to the back so you can fade them correctly also left and right to balance, not like it will hurt the system but it might be annoying to you.

6. MrExplorer

MrExplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Painesville.OH
      97 Sport
      Well from what i read is that he just wants to add subs to a factory radio. There is no need to disable the factory amp. Personally i would get the signal to feed the amp before the factory amp. Im not at home at the moment to give you the wire colors before the amp. I can get them for you if you need it. Im not sure where the wires run from the front to the back but its possible it is on the pass side. I know the amp is on that side.

7. Kevex

Kevex Active Member

City, State:
      edgewater park,nj
      99 XLT
      It would depend on where he gets the signal from before of after the factory amp(if he has one)is what I was meaning

8. MrExplorer

MrExplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Painesville.OH
      97 Sport
      The cleanest signal i believe would be before the factory amp.