95exploderboy's Full Width SAS | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95exploderboy's Full Width SAS

Well I've been collecting ideas and parts for a long time now and its about time I started posting something. First off I'm gonna say that this might take a while because of the frequency that I go away for work, but I will make sure to keep everyone posted as I make progress. I have nearly all of the major parts bought and sitting in the shop, so now all I need is the time to put my SAS "kit" together.

What I have planned...

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Warn Premium Hubs
Stock Shafts for now
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Toyota Steering box
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

The plan is to use the 79 upper coil buckets, not sure how I'm compensating for the full width yet. Gonna try to space the bottom coil mounts in enough to keep the springs straight. The arms will be located via a new transmission cross member/RA mount. The arms measure around 40 inches that puts them right under the transfer case. The rear will be SOA, shackles will be adjusted to level everything out. Still not sure of what will happen to the body lift, I'll see how I feel about it after I wheel it a few times.

Random pics...

Something is missing
DSCN0088.JPG

Sweet extended jack stands. They are good for about 30 inches and have a broad stable base
DSCN0093.JPG

What I ended up with:

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Drive Slugs
Alloy USA inner/outer axle shafts with Spicer 760 joints
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Full Hydro with single sided ram
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

Ta Da! :D:D

DSCN0885.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick hijack about you being in CA again. If you're still here the weekend of June 2nd, and don't have any plans, you should come out to Pismo to meet a few of us CA members. :thumbsup:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Quick hijack about you being in CA again. If you're still here the weekend of June 2nd, and don't have any plans, you should come out to Pismo to meet a few of us CA members. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I will be home by June 1st. Thanks for the heads up, I was hoping that there was some kinda meet while I was out here but it looks like I'll be home before it happens.

This is mine! Guess thats what extra money and being bored 2,800 miles from home will do to you. Man I needa get home to get to work on this thing. I did some reading on this welder and saw alot of good reviews, anyone have an opinion about it? It was between this and the SP135, I got a rockin deal on ebay, this wasn't much more than what the 135s have been going for and it was still way below most retail stores. It looks like if you have the right wire for the applications its pretty hard to beat this thing for the price.

If I'm away from home for much more this summer I guess I'll be getting a tube bender too :D

Question for anyone who has a stock 79 1/2 ton draglink laying around. I need to find out what its diameter is?

I plan to use a heim on the frame end so that I have some adjustability. I'll use a weld in tube insert with the right threads for my heim. Then I will sleave tube over the draglink and weld it. Looking to use one of these inserts. Plan is to find an insert that will allow me to use some dom that has the same ID as the draglink's OD.

Hmm thats an ok description I guess. Anyone know what I'm asking and have a link layin around? I'd check this myself, but I'm on travel and I'd like to have the parts ready for me when I get home.

Thanks!

If you get desperate, send me the specs and ill machine you one.

If you get desperate, send me the specs and ill machine you one.

Thanks. That could work if it comes to that. If its real close I'll just grind it down. I'm thinking its somewhere around 7/8" so that would work with the inserts available. I'll use the same heim for my draglink and RAs that way I only need one kinda spare.

More goodies. This past weekend at RC got me pumped up and I figure if I don't have time to work on it, I'll still spend money on it in hopes that it will be done one day.

best_smaller_kit.jpg

Stubler #14 from HERE

Didn't calculate my new crawl ratio yet, but will be somewhere around 120:1

Yummy :D

i hate you

now stop buying things to make me jealous and put the ***** together.

Will I thought it would be easier now since I am making a new tranny crossmember anyway. And i wanted to make you jealous too :D

So I was bored and I tried to figure out my new crawl ratio. Please correct me if i'm wrong here.

Formula should be:

Torque converter * 1st gear ratio * stubler ratio * axle ratio = final drive ratio

so...

2.56 * 2.47 * 6.15 * 4.88 = 190:1

Is this right?

Sure seems darn low, but its what other stubler guys had with my gear ratios substituted.

Crawl on.... :D

You dont usually count the torque converter because its variable. At idle it may "double" your crawl ratio, but as soon as you step on the gas that goes away. Usually its left out, and you just consider you have say 100:1 with a manual or 100:1 with an auto. So it would be 1st gear tranny x 1st TC x 2nd TC x axle ratio = crawl ratio + "i have an auto". :D

You dont usually count the torque converter because its variable. At idle it may "double" your crawl ratio, but as soon as you step on the gas that goes away. Usually its left out, and you just consider you have say 100:1 with a manual or 100:1 with an auto. So it would be 1st gear tranny x 1st TC x 2nd TC x axle ratio = crawl ratio + "i have an auto". :D

Sounds a little more reasonable to me. Whatever it ends up being, I'm sure that it will make a life a little easier.

Got some work done this past weekend, I plan to do some more this weekend too. My only gripe so far is that I still don't have my Stubler because 4xFab found something wrong with it before it was shipped. He said he has to machine some new parts and should be able to ship it on Monday. I hope this is true, because it needs to go in before I can do my crossmember placement. I do appreciate his commitment to quality and not sending out a bad part, but i want my new toy!

Progress from last weekend: Removed stock front suspension and started cutting out the IFS brackets/crossmember.

DSCN0538.JPG

DSCN0529.JPG

DSCN0532.JPG

Made some more progress this weekend. Currently waiting on my stubler before I go any further.

I got all of the IFS mounts/crossmembers cut out and welded on a new front crossmember. Only got to work on it Saturday afternoon, but I think I got a good bit of work done for the pace I was moving at. I made the new crossmember out of an old hitch that I picked up a few years ago. Not sure what it is for, but it was just a little bit wider than the front frame rails so all I had to do to get it to fit was grind the old bumper mounts to get it to fit. The welds are strong, but they don't look the best in the pictures. I started out using the arc welder because I thought it would make a stronger weld. Well after I did that, I decided to try out the new Lincoln 175 for the first time. That thing is AWESOME, it lays down a mean bead and had no problems with the the 1/4" steel. So its pretty much welded twice, the slag from the stick welder made the mig a little funky, but that thing is on there and ready for some pulls.

DSCN0540.JPG

DSCN0541.JPG

No more IFS
DSCN0544.JPG

My Welders, still needa get a cart. Found one at Harbor Freight that would work to hold both, but I decided that the chop saw was enough for one day.
DSCN0545.JPG

Nice progress there!

Overdue update....

Things are progressing slowly, but its progress. I finally got my stubler in the mail. I haven't been home to see it, but I'm sure its gonna be great. As I mentioned earlier the stubler might set me back a little bit due to the fact that it will interfere with my gas tank. The tank is removed so I think I will remove its bracket that is in the way, then install the stubler and see if I can build a new mount or come up with something else. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any quick links or advice for putting a fuel cell in the Ex. Its gonna be trailered from now on so I don't really care about the size, I'm more concerned with getting the right fuel pressure.

My 9" is also regeared and ready to go in. Not that that is my biggest hang up, but its progress.

Short term list:
1. Stubler install
2. Tranny crossmember
3. Figure out axle placement and fab RA mounts.
4. Fish-plate the frame and start mounting upper coil buckets

Should be an ok list for now...

Some pics

The offending tank mount and tranny
DSCN0572.JPG

Trying to see where my RA's will meet the frame
DSCN0576.JPG

Thats all for now, I hope to be home around the first full week of Aug. I plan to get a good bit of work done then...

*subscribing* I don't how I missed this one- sorry, Jake!!

Looks like you're finally getting somewhere, though. I still think we should have a "Get Jake's truck together party" one weekend soon! And I still think you need a new job ;)

Btw, on a random note, I think I just had the biggest blonde moment of my life... I was perusing the pics of you setting the gears in the 44 and thinking, "I wonder why I gave him my carrier...?" Durhhh :confused: Eh, you had to be there :p:

*subscribing* I don't how I missed this one- sorry, Jake!!

Looks like you're finally getting somewhere, though. I still think we should have a "Get Jake's truck together party" one weekend soon! And I still think you need a new job ;)

Btw, on a random note, I think I just had the biggest blonde moment of my life... I was perusing the pics of you setting the gears in the 44 and thinking, "I wonder why I gave him my carrier...?" Durhhh :confused: Eh, you had to be there :p:

Man, no wonder my thread doesn't get many views, nobody knows its here.

Yeah everyone else had a party, maybe I will too. Although my garage isn't really in a central location. And its kinda small, don't know how many people we can fit in it.

I do like my job, but it has been really busy lately. I do however get a chance to make and save a lot of money, which in turn makes it way to the truck. It should get a little better soon.

I think I got the carrier because I spent all my time working on your truck and didn't show any love to mine :D

Back