95exploderboy's Full Width SAS | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95exploderboy's Full Width SAS

Well I've been collecting ideas and parts for a long time now and its about time I started posting something. First off I'm gonna say that this might take a while because of the frequency that I go away for work, but I will make sure to keep everyone posted as I make progress. I have nearly all of the major parts bought and sitting in the shop, so now all I need is the time to put my SAS "kit" together.

What I have planned...

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Warn Premium Hubs
Stock Shafts for now
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Toyota Steering box
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

The plan is to use the 79 upper coil buckets, not sure how I'm compensating for the full width yet. Gonna try to space the bottom coil mounts in enough to keep the springs straight. The arms will be located via a new transmission cross member/RA mount. The arms measure around 40 inches that puts them right under the transfer case. The rear will be SOA, shackles will be adjusted to level everything out. Still not sure of what will happen to the body lift, I'll see how I feel about it after I wheel it a few times.

Random pics...

Something is missing
DSCN0088.JPG

Sweet extended jack stands. They are good for about 30 inches and have a broad stable base
DSCN0093.JPG

What I ended up with:

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Drive Slugs
Alloy USA inner/outer axle shafts with Spicer 760 joints
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Full Hydro with single sided ram
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

Ta Da! :D:D

DSCN0885.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man, no wonder my thread doesn't get many views, nobody knows its here.

Yeah everyone else had a party, maybe I will too. Although my garage isn't really in a central location. And its kinda small, don't know how many people we can fit in it.

I do like my job, but it has been really busy lately. I do however get a chance to make and save a lot of money, which in turn makes it way to the truck. It should get a little better soon.

I think I got the carrier because I spent all my time working on your truck and didn't show any love to mine :D

Rofl, I didn't mean Why did I give it to you per say.. I was trying to figure out why I would give away such an essential part of my differential. Then I remembered the OX is its own carrier :rolleyes: Huhduh. LOL.

Didja get the stubler in yet??

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

No stubler in yet. It took nearly a month for me to get it because Grem found an issue with his machining. I do appreciate that he didn't want to send out an inferior part, but it did set me back. I need to get it installed before I do any mockup. My case is out sitting on the work bench and I finally got the stubler in the mail. Problem was it only came after I left for work and so I haven't even seen it.

On a side note I am dreaming about it at night. 6.14:1 transfer case..... Yum:D

No stubler in yet. It took nearly a month for me to get it because Grem found an issue with his machining. I do appreciate that he didn't want to send out an inferior part, but it did set me back. I need to get it installed before I do any mockup. My case is out sitting on the work bench and I finally got the stubler in the mail. Problem was it only came after I left for work and so I haven't even seen it.

On a side note I am dreaming about it at night. 6.14:1 transfer case..... Yum:D

Damn you :p: :D So how much did it set you back? $800? Did you have to send in a core or anything?

No core, which might be where most of the cost comes from, I'm not sure. It looks like an exceptional unit with no reported problems. I liked it because of the the fact that it only adds 5 3/4 inches to the drive train. Although I think I'll still need to do some kinda gas tank modification :(

Yeah I saw yours and figured that mine would fit like yours. I measured mine before I took out the stock case and it didn't look like it would work, even after I cut off the dampener bosses. Might be a difference between the first and second gen, not sure. Did anyone else install this in a second gen sport? Plan is to install the stubler case and see what happens. Hopefully I measured wrong :D

More parts are ordered.

I'm lazy and need all the time I can get on this thing so I got some link and shock tabs from RuffStuff

Ordered some new heims from Stone Crusher. They switched to a stronger heim after I got my RA extensions and I had already planned to do a heim on the frame end of the track bar, so I ordered the stronger heims from them and will use one of the old ones for the track bar and one for a spare.

Spider Trax is sending me a threaded bung for my trac bar heim along with a foot of DOM and a couple jam nuts.

I have been shopping around for steering. I think I am going with the Chevy TRE setup over the knuckle with 1 1/2" OD 1/4" wall DOM. This rig is going to be trailered, but I like the drag link angles better with TRE's than with heims.

I'm looking at this kit from Complete Offroad. the price is $229 shipped. I priced out getting all the parts either locally or over the internet and it came out to be close to the same price. But seeing how I don't have all the free time in the world it might just be easier to order this kit. The only thing that I would get by buying the TRE's locally is that most will come with some kind of warrenty. I think I'll jut be lazy and buy it from them...

Besides that there isn't too much to update. I plan to get a Super Duty in a week or so. I found one that looks like it fits the bill, I just needa get outa Arkansas to get it. :D 7.3 Diesel Mmmmmmm.........

Nother thing....

IZ if your reading this, which DIY bead locks are you planning to run? I nearly ordered the RuffStuff ones last night, but decided to wait until I was ready to actually mount the tires. I got a buddy at Fastenal, so i don't need any that come with bolts.

Anyone else have a brand that they liked or would recommend?

IZ if your reading this, which DIY bead locks are you planning to run?
I didn't order my beadlock kit yet cauz I first wanted to see whether or not beadlocks will work since my Explorer has "reversed" wheels. I now run a pair of Maxxis Creepy Crawlers in the back and when we were installing it on a tire machine, it would not go on from the front of the wheel -- we had to put the tire on from the back of the wheel. Sooo that means that I can't run beadlocks w/o modifying my wheels (basically grinding down the front diameter a little bit).

More parts are ordered.

I'm lazy and need all the time I can get on this thing so I got some link and shock tabs from RuffStuff

Ordered some new heims from Stone Crusher. They switched to a stronger heim after I got my RA extensions and I had already planned to do a heim on the frame end of the track bar, so I ordered the stronger heims from them and will use one of the old ones for the track bar and one for a spare.

Spider Trax is sending me a threaded bung for my trac bar heim along with a foot of DOM and a couple jam nuts.

I have been shopping around for steering. I think I am going with the Chevy TRE setup over the knuckle with 1 1/2" OD 1/4" wall DOM. This rig is going to be trailered, but I like the drag link angles better with TRE's than with heims.

I'm looking at this kit from Complete Offroad. the price is $229 shipped. I priced out getting all the parts either locally or over the internet and it came out to be close to the same price. But seeing how I don't have all the free time in the world it might just be easier to order this kit. The only thing that I would get by buying the TRE's locally is that most will come with some kind of warrenty. I think I'll jut be lazy and buy it from them...

Besides that there isn't too much to update. I plan to get a Super Duty in a week or so. I found one that looks like it fits the bill, I just needa get outa Arkansas to get it. :D 7.3 Diesel Mmmmmmm.........

Pfft! ...you said 'Bung' hahahahaha :D

Nother thing....

IZ if your reading this, which DIY bead locks are you planning to run? I nearly ordered the RuffStuff ones last night, but decided to wait until I was ready to actually mount the tires. I got a buddy at Fastenal, so i don't need any that come with bolts.

Anyone else have a brand that they liked or would recommend?

my g/f goes to college next week, so that should give me alot more time to work on my junk. I'll let you know how the hummer double beadlocks workout. Since you almost HAVE to recenter them anyway, it is no extra charge to get the bolt pattern you want. i'm to the point where i just need to set the centers in, tack, check for concentricty and weld. if mine turn out concentric, you might want to think about em. only issue is the 16.5" wheel size. so interco is pretty much your only oversized tire option.

Pfft! ...you said 'Bung' hahahahaha :D

Fine.... Next time I'll Say "Insert"

Thanks Aric, I have a great set of wheels minus the locks that I got from Spas, but I would like to hear about your Hummer wheels. I had looked at a thread on PPB earlier today that made me think about them too.

i have $125 into the wheels, $375 into the new custom centers, and 120 for the magnesium inserts... so we'll see how it goes here shortly.

Well I'm still in Arkansas and I saw some commercials for the "Arkansas Truck Show and Expo" I was bored so I decided I'd go check it out.

Lets just say I got some great Ideas for my SAS...

Great wheel and tire combo's
DSCN0606.JPG

DSCN0597.JPG

Awesome way to hide my body lift.
DSCN0599.JPG

DSCN0598.JPG

Wonderful Steering setups.
DSCN0600.JPG

DSCN0593.JPG

Not sure what this does, but it has to be useful.
DSCN0594.JPG

DSCN0588.JPG

DSCN0592.JPG

Lets just say that I was highly disappointed. This was supposed to be the largest truck show in Arkansas. It was almost all big rigs besides the awesome trucks that I got the ideas from.

Man I needa get home to work on my truck....

Dear. God.

I would say something witty and rather derogatory about southern redneck engineering, but I'm afraid some of our Arkansas bunch would beat me to death with their roadkill/dinner :D

Yup, typical Arkansas. Im shocked you didnt see anything with 12" front lift blocks made from 2x4 tube with ladder bars holding the front end in. :p:

James, what in gods name is going on in the last 2 pics?

Yup, typical Arkansas. Im shocked you didnt see anything with 12" front lift blocks made from 2x4 tube with ladder bars holding the front end in. :p:

Thats what I was expecting too. I was pleased to find this great example of engineering.

James, what in gods name is going on in the last 2 pics?
2nd to last pic- square tubed "traction bar" that is being used to push up on the springs to help keep arc... they tend to sag quickly when re-arced with a torch. :rolleyes:

Last pic- very complicated linkage holding on to the tracbar mount at the axle to keep it from breaking off... presumably again. :rolleyes:

Back