Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

95k maintenance advice...

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by jenren81, July 11, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. jenren81

jenren81 Active Member

City, State:
    Frisco, CO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    03 Sport 4x4, 16 Tacoma
    Hi all,

I'm going to be taking my truck in to get both front hubs replaced, the right side is really bad, I'm sure the left will be quick to follow. Wasn't quite sure where to post this but it looks like the stock area gets a little more views.

Since they are going to have it all apart anyway, I'm thinking maybe it's time to get some of the other front suspension stuff replaced as well. The torsion bars have been cranked a bit to give about 1.5inches lift up front, which I know can put strain on all that stuff. I also have 33in tires too. The handling is kind of sloppy feeling now, but that can partially be because of the bad wheel bearing I guess.

Since I moved up to the mountains from the city, the truck gets driven a lot more, I just want to make it safe without blowing my entire bank account. But I will buy whatever parts are needed. I haven't had to to anything to this truck besides brakes/rotors, and it hasn't been a pavement queen either - quite a few off road excursions, etc.

**Ball joints- how long do they last? Are they are preventative maintenance type part?
    **control arms - do you replace the whole thing or can the bushings just get punched out? is it necessary??
    **front sway bar bushings/end links - mine look kind of nasty, going to do those, parts are pretty cheap
    **rear sway bar bushings - looked pretty cracked, should probably do those too huh?
    **front brakes/rotors - it's been a couple of years since the pads were done (I didn't drive much until I moved up here from Boulder) and they aren't making too much noise... should I get some nicer rotors on? My dad replaced everything before and I don't remember if he put new rotors on the front. Are the slotted/drilled rotors of any benefit?
    **how long do shocks last? we put some monroe sensatrac things on from oreillys several years back, how many miles can you expect from them?
    **ujoints -- when coming to a stop/or accelerating from a stop, i get that clunk feeling.. ujoints?
    **cv's -- couple of years ago a mechanic told me there was some "play" in the right CV. I know the TT puts extra stress on them too... do they slowly go bad like the wheel bearings or do they just grenade? Are they worth replacing at a certain amount of miles?

Anything else?? Sorry for the long ass post, just trying to make sure I get all the parts I need... the mechanic will have to order all this crap anyway so I might as well get the good stuff ahead of time.

Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jenren81

jenren81 Active Member

City, State:
    Frisco, CO
    03 Sport 4x4, 16 Tacoma
    I think I answered a lot of my own questions by searching a ton (who knew ;-) but if anybody wants to chime in still feel free :thumbsup:

4. my98nnj

my98nnj Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boonton, New Jersey
    1998 XLT
    Ball Joints - If there original you can't service (grease) them. If they have any play, replace them.

Control Arms - Check for any play in the bushings, not sure if you can replace the bushings, doing the whole arm would be easier and you'd get the ball joint too as they come as one part.

Sway Bars - Bushings are easy and very cheap to replace. The end links are also easy to replace, check them to see if they are good still. There should be no play in the sway bar components.

Brakes - Don't waste your $$$ on drilled or slotted rotors. Get good blanks and a quality pad. Check the condition of yours before replacing. If the pads are worn down, then might as well replace the brakes.

Shocks - 30K - 50K miles check for leaks, ride quality, excessive body roll and bounce. Replace if necessary.

CV's and U-Jonts - Check for play, CV boots should be intact. U-Joints should be smooth, no binding.

5. jenren81

jenren81 Active Member

City, State:
    Frisco, CO
    03 Sport 4x4, 16 Tacoma
    thanks for the info/reassurance.... I like to know what I'm getting into before I ever drop my truck off at a mechanic :)

6. sport97

sport97 Elite Procrastinator

City, State:
    connellsville pa
    1997 sport SOHC 4.0
    Im at 96k on my SOHC.

Fuel filter if you haven't done so already.

Just do a wiggle and visual inspection on everything. If you have no clunking or creaking and the boots are all intact on everything you are probably good. I'd do the bearings first and go from there and see what wiggles and how the steering feels after.

7. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    VA
    2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
    On the brakes, get a good pad, you won't have all that black dust on your rims.
    And do a good job on the install, cleaning all the contact surfaces, and a careful application of the appropriate grease (brake grease is specific to the type of pad). I have been using WearEver Gold pads, and the grease for ceramics.

I'm not sure if this applies to your model year, but do a driveshaft slip yoke service, Ford says every 7K if I remember correctly. This is often the source of the "clunk".

Air filter, they don't last very long, and helps gas mileage.
    Maybe spark plugs too, I think they are good for 100K.

You might want to get a shop manual, there is some good info there on maintenance schedules & inspection procedures.

Check your spare tire & lift assembly.

Do battery maintenance (water) if that applies.

Do a good lube job, hinges, latches, etc.

Maybe change transfer case fluid, if that applies to your model, it is an expensive bit of love.

Check your ball joints, there is a procedure for this using a jack and a lever.

Best wishes.

8. jenren81

jenren81 Active Member

City, State:
    Frisco, CO
    03 Sport 4x4, 16 Tacoma
    thanks for the advice everyone, the mechanic didn't really find anything major. I was going to have him do the fuel filter but totally forgot! It's overdue for that. Wheel bearings were shot, it's nice not to have that awful noise anymore! Looks like I have a few more miles before I have to shell out anymore $$$$$.... well I'm going to need new tires by winter and those aren't cheap!

We Support Our Troops!