96 4.0 "jerks" / "shutters" when over 85mph | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 4.0 "jerks" / "shutters" when over 85mph

deanrantala

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesboro, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4wd XLT
1996 Explorer, 4WD Automatic 4.0.

Had the transmission replaces a few months back at a reputable shop locally.

Everything runs great, except when over 80-8h MPH. When you get to around 85mph, the car will randomly "jerk".. It feels as if the transmission is trying to downshift for just a split second and then decides to change its mind and shifts right back before engaging the lower gear.

This happens regardless of driving uphill or with/without any load.

The transmission shop has updated all valves and whatnot that apply to this year (or so they said). They have mentioned they really cannot do much for me (regardless of warranty) since this happens at speeds over 75mph.

Perhaps it is worth mentioning that every once-in-a-while the OD light comes on and flashes. The past 4 times this happens, I took it back to them and the owner has said it is a "Torque converter lockup failed" error. The torque converter has been triple checked - as has the entire transmission and he cannot find anything wrong. To quote the owner at the shop: "it is as if the computer is reporting a problem that does not exist".

A couple other notes:

1) As mentioned, the "torque converter" issue has been detected in the computer. What re-enforces this is the fact that every once in a while - at highway speeds - the engine WILL rev up a bit (as if the torque converter is unlocking). This happens rarely but at random. This also happens regardless of flat roads or uphill. Once again, the TC has been replaced and triple checked.

2) At first there were several errors reporting (causing the OD light to blink) relating to the VSS. Once again, a new sensor and several close checks to the wiring revealed no fault. This also happened after the tranny was replaced.

3) I have read a handfull of accounts that mention re-programming the ECM has solved a number of rare quirky issues after transmission work. I also read somewhere (here in fact) that there was a TSB issued on flashing OD light issues after transmission work (re-calibration?). I have contacted the local authorized Ford dealership and they quoted me around $75 to re-flash/re-program the ECM.

Anyone have any ideas? The transmission shop is clueless and since it drives fines under 75mph (with the exception of the rare flashing OD light), they can not do much more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it is as if the computer is reporting a problem that does not exist".

that statement makes me laugh since you are feeling the problem. It sounds more like the computer is reporting a problem that they don't know how to fix. Random things like this can be tricky. But it is their job to stand by the repair and make it work properly. Was the torque converter replaced with the new tranny? (it should have been)

that statement makes me laugh since you are feeling the problem. It sounds more like the computer is reporting a problem that they don't know how to fix. Random things like this can be tricky. But it is their job to stand by the repair and make it work properly. Was the torque converter replaced with the new tranny? (it should have been)

Yes, or so they said it was replaced.

Entire tranny/tc was replaced. After the first few incidents with the OD light flashing, they did an update to the valve body "to be absolutely sure".

Did I ever mention to you guys that I've never had a good experience with ANY transmission shop where I live. lol.

Bands, planetary gears, and fluids...

I think I'll just drive this tranny into the ground and re-build it myself next time.

Between these forums, an elite membership, google, YouTube, and Mitchell OnDemand, I think I can tackle it.

Gonna poke around on Craigslist and find an old ranger with burned up tranny to play around with in the meanwhile.. :)

Did I ever mention to you guys that I've never had a good experience with ANY transmission shop where I live. lol.

Man I know your pain... I am in the same boat, the only thing you can do is arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible. Oh and also request all the replaced parts from the transmission. I don't think I will ever trust another tranny guy unless one of them really earns my trust. I am sure there are great service techs out there (some of them are on this board). But none that I know are close enough to me to help out. Oh and don't even think that the dealer has the answer, I think they are worse then all the others.

The only thing I would say is before anyone goes and gets the typical tranny guy response "the only option is to rebuild the whole thing fortunatly we are running a special for 2499.99 and it is garranteed for 30 days". Do some research first and find out what others are saying.

Check the TPS adjustment and sweep. Make sure it's linear and smooth with no drop outs or dead spots. A faulty TPS can play havoc on a tranny and not show up as a DTC.

If it runs good any other time i would say get better MPG and slow down

Man I know your pain... I am in the same boat, the only thing you can do is arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible. Oh and also request all the replaced parts from the transmission. I don't think I will ever trust another tranny guy unless one of them really earns my trust. I am sure there are great service techs out there (some of them are on this board). But none that I know are close enough to me to help out. Oh and don't even think that the dealer has the answer, I think they are worse then all the others.

The only thing I would say is before anyone goes and gets the typical tranny guy response "the only option is to rebuild the whole thing fortunatly we are running a special for 2499.99 and it is garranteed for 30 days". Do some research first and find out what others are saying.

thats out ragious for arebuild i have the recepit from when the last owner of my exp. had tranny replaced and thats about what they charged

yup it's a common tale

isn't 85 illegal... like everywhere... maybe if you would go the speed limit then you wouldn't have a problem

isn't 85 illegal... like everywhere... maybe if you would go the speed limit then you wouldn't have a problem

geesh really?:rolleyes: he is here to solve a problem not get questioned on his speed of travel/ driving habits. And yes there are places where close to that speed is legal. In fact almost all the states in the mid section of our country have 80mph speed limits.. Now lets stick to the topic

Fixed

Only if you are cought ;-) Otherwise, it is perfectly legal.

To move on, I found the cause: transfer case.

Turns out the chain [in the transfer case] had so much slack in it that at high speeds it would stretch just enough to nearly skip a gear. This catching/jumping was the cause of the jerks.

Installed a new (well.. used) transfer case and not one jerk.

Gonna rebuild the old one for a spare :)

Now I need to re-check all the electronics to stop the "6 blinks of death" on the 4wd/4low lights.... *sigh*

Back