96 5.0 needs a new motor | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 5.0 needs a new motor

Got my valve covers, going to check clearances tonight or tomorrow and see how much modification they are going to need, hopefully not too much since I'm only running 1.6 rockers. With any luck I will be firing her up this Thursday and be driving by next Tuesday. Any tips for first start up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check all fluids, look over all connections, vacuum lines, wires, clamps, etc.. Then just prime the fuel pump a few times, check fuel lines and rail for any leaks and turn that key should fire right up and smooth out quickly

So while turning over the motor to check my valve cover clearance, I notice a popping sound coming from one of my valve springs/rockers. Best I can tell, it is the inner damper spring popping on its seat. I talked to the builder and he said it shouldn't be an issue, and it should settle into a position where it doesn't do that anymore once the engine runs. Have any of yall encountered this before?

your lifters probably need to pump up?

The pedestal mount rockers are a pita, but as long as they stay centered on your valve tips you should be good to go!
The valve spring should never be loose again once the lifters pump up

I thought that might have something to do with it but wasn't sure. Still haven't tried to start it yet. I still need to get some clay to put on my rockers to check my valve cover clearances. I took the oil baffles out and I dont have any interference as it sits but may after the lifters pump up so better safe than sorry. About how much of a heigth increase can be expected after the lifters pump up? I've been at work all weekend so I haven't had time to mess with it but am off the next 2 days and will be trying to get things going if the good the good lords willing and the creek don't rise.

When the lifters pump up you should not get much more height.

This on them as more or less a "Shock Absorber" for the valve train.

You need to double-check and make sure that valve isn't loose. The spring should hold tension to keep the valve closed, the lifter won't come into play in this issue. I assume it's the inner beehive spring of an aftermarket set making the noise?

At most you'll add .060" of height on rocker after lifter pump up. It's not much but could come into play.

You need to double-check and make sure that valve isn't loose. The spring should hold tension to keep the valve closed, the lifter won't come into play in this issue. I assume it's the inner beehive spring of an aftermarket set making the noise?

At most you'll add .060" of height on rocker after lifter pump up. It's not much but could come into play.

Yes, the inner spring is making the noise, it was part of the comp cams kit I got. The noise only happens every 2 full rotations of the engine, when the valve starts closing and the spring is about 1/4 of the way decompressed. The spring compresses just fine and begins to decompress fine and then the inner spring moves a little and makes the noise. Hard to tell exactly how the spring is moving when it pops. The valve does not seem loose but what's a good way to double check?

With rocker off push down / lift up on the valve stem, it shouldn't move one bit

Almost sounds like the inner spring is binding on the outer spring?

Almost sounds like the inner spring is binding on the outer spring?
That's what I'm thinking. I'd try spinning it around to get it in a better place.

You could try bringing the offending cylinder to TDC where both valves are closed and then actuate the rocker arm with a pair of pliers wrapped in a rag to keep from scoring up your new rockers to see where it might be binding.

take a soft hammer take off rocker and rap the valve STRAIGHT down this should seat the spring sounds like machine shop forgot this step or just missed that valve
roscor

you could start the motor and see if the noise goes away.. :shifty:

:popcorn:
That's what I'm going to do. It is on the driver side so if it doesnt go away I'll still have access without taking the upper intake off.

Little more progress the past couple days, didn't get to work on it nearly as much as I had wanted to but it's getting closer and closer!

20181030_185157.jpg

Have you seen these?

How old are the injectors?

Are the piston rings coated?

Yes the rings are coated, and the injectors are stock. I'll be upgrading to larger ones in the next year or two so I decided not to spend the extra cash on replacing the stock ones. As for the videos, I always dress my belts, and have packed my pulley bearings. There was one bearing that was too far gone already so it got replaced. I'm hoping the injectors will be fine for the time being, seeing as they weren't causing any problems before the rebuild.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I swapped mine out and they had around 60,000 miles (if I can remember right) and there was a night and day improvement in throttle response. It's important to have the injectors working optimally to get an optimal tune.

Set of Eight 8 Flow Matched Refurbished Fuel Injectors # 0280155700 Ford Bosch | eBay

$100 for a matched set and then turn around a sell yours for $40. New o2's would be a good idea also.

Can we expect a burnout video by sunday night then?

Back