1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

96 5.0l RWD to hi-lo 4x4

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by Mangus17, February 14, 2020 at 2:47 AM.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. Mangus17

Mangus17 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1995 explorer xlt
    I have a 1996 5.0l rwd I'm looking at switching it to 4 wheel drive with HI-LO, I know I can buy one but this one is in amazing condition and was a Georgia vehicle its whole life and shows it, barely any rust at all, what transmission and transfer case do I need?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 410Fortune

410Fortune Snow Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    B2 Slightly Modified
    Your truck has a 4r70w automatic RWD
    You need a 4r70w 4wd, consider upgrading to a 98+ 4r70w with the 98+ internal solenoids and wiring harness

Then you have a couple of t case options:
    BW4406m
    BW4406e
    Ford NP205

I prefer the 4406m because it basically bolts in along with the correct front and rear driveshafts
    You will have to replace your trans, or at least have your rwd trans converted to a 4wd trans using a new output shaft and tail housing (requires rebuild)
    The 4406m is a 2wd, 4hi and 4lo case found in 97-04 F150
    Your 96 Explorer is expecting to see a VSS sensor in the back of the transmission, now in the back of the T case
    So you NEED to use a 97-98 F150 t case as they still have the VSS sensor
    You have to cut a hole in the floor for the t case shifter and hook up the two lights in your dash for 4hi and 4 low

Have you tried searching for this? It has been covered!!
    The 4x4 t case in a 5.0 Explorer is AWESOME!!

Back in 2006 I converted my 96 AWD explorer to the 4406m t case, added the VSS sensor, sorted out the driveshafts and hooked up the lights all right here in this thread:
    410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

• Like Like x 1