96 Aerostar won't start, belt/pulley smoking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Aerostar won't start, belt/pulley smoking

moviemagician

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Aerostar
I just bought this '96 Aerostar today. After stopping at a store, I got a click when going to start it. One of the battery cables was loose so I tightened it. After, fooling with it for a bit and eventually having to jump it off it would start to crank, but not all the way. Then, smoke and squeaking came from what appears to be the serpentine belt. I am sure something is locked up, but I don't know what. From what I've read on the net I'm thinking the alternator.
I really don't know much about fixing cars. What could it be that is locking up and preventing it from starting? Could ANY pulley that the serpentine belt goes around stop the vehicle from starting like the water pump or AC or would it be the alternator?
Though I'm not a mechanic, I am pretty mechanically inclined. Would I be able to diagnose the problem and/or replace the alternator or other part or should I take it to a mechanic?
One final thing, I was talking to a friend and he said that most Fords don't make it past 150 thousand miles. This Aerostar that I just bought has 250,000 miles. Is that too many miles? The guy that sold it to me offered my $900 back due to the breakdown (He was genuinely nice and I honestly don't think he knew of any problems.). Should I keep the 900 dollar, 250k Aerostar and try to fix it or get a refund and look for something else?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Disconnect the drive belt, and see if you could turn the alternator, power steering pump, and the water pump with your hand. I doubt that it's the compressor since your air conditioning is off. Would he let you keep the van even if he gave you a full refund? It does have a lot of mileage, but it should be OK if it's mostly highway driven, and well maintained. At least he sounds like an honest seller to offer the refund. Ask him for any recent repair records or receipts if he still has any.

Thank you so much for the welcome and the advice! I am on my way to the library tomorrow to get a manual for the vehicle. How do you disconnect the drive belt? Is that the same as the serpentine? As I said, I am a very amateur mechanic.
No, I would return the van in order to get the refund. I really just need a good, running vehicle because this will be my only form of transportation (evil ex wife :thumbdwn:) (preferably a truck or van for work, but any car would do). Any reliable recommendations for under $1,500?
I believe he has maintained the van. It's very clean looking (outside and under the hood), but I'm having second thoughts about the mileage now.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your help! I've been reading this forum and you seem to be the one with all the answers. You are awesome! Thanks!

How did you find this forum? Was it through a recommendation or a Google search? By the way, what size engine do you have? Do you have the regular model or the extended model? Does it have E-4WD?

Google search.
Tomorrow I'll get a manual and get to work. I'll post my results.
I just replaced the radiator and thermostat in my girlfriend's '90 Plymouth Sundance the other day and that's pretty much the extent of my auto repair repertoire. Hopefully, I'll be able to fix my new, old Aerostar with the help of this forum (unless you guys recommend I take the refund). I only have until Monday though to decide because the seller is moving across the country (that's why he was selling).

I'm not sure of the engine size. It's stuck at the store right now. I'll have it towed home with AAA tomorrow. I only had it for 2-3 hours before it broke down. I don't think it has 4wd, but not sure.

I bet your Idler pulley froze up. It is a problem with these. They need to be taken off and greased every once in awhile.

I went to the library and got the Haynes manual today. Removing the drive belt to check the spin of the various pulleys appears to be too difficult for a novice such as me, so I had it towed to the mechanic I use. He's not open on Sunday so I'll see what he says tomorrow. The AAA tow driver said it sounded like the idler, but wasn't sure.
One thing I thought of is I tried the AC since I just bought the vehicle and it didn't work. Could turning on the AC if it hadn't been run for a long time possibly cause the compressor to freeze?

One other thing...suppose it is the alternator, idler or AC that is locked up. What do you think would be an average estimate of the cost to fix such a thing? I know costs vary from different regions, but I'm still interested in other people's input. Is there a website that tells mechanic's fees for certain repairs?

Find out what your mechanic charges per hour. He will mark up the price of the parts, but you could check the price of those parts at any local auto parts store. Don't be surprised if he inflates the cost of those parts two or three times of the actual amount. Some shops also inflate the labor times too. This is why it's good to get a manual, and read up on the correct procedure to repair things on your own. He might give you a better deal if you've been using him for a long time instead of coming in off of the street for the first time.

Back