Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

96 AWD Pre runner

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by AWD96spoon, September 27, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. AWD96spoon

AWD96spoon Active Member

City, State:
    Ardmore, ok
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1996, Explorer AWD
    Hello, I just joined this forum and am looking for some advice on long travel suspension options for my 96 AWD explorer. I've had the truck about a year and am wanting to be able to take it to the dunes and haul ass through the air and also take it on trails through the woods. I'm not worried about keeping it street legal. I saw Dixon bros makes a kit but I was wondering if there were any other options. Also what is recommended for the rear suspension? I'm not looking to compete in anything, just have a ton of fun. Anyone done a prerunner build with the AWD explorer? What about cages, fenders, performance upgrades to the 5.0L? I'm not looking to spend 20k on this old truck but I'm willing to put some money into for good quality parts that will do what I want. Any ideas, recommendations, opinions, or questions?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Turdle

Turdle Freelance Stuntman Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    Welcome to the forum.
    All of that is covered if you search and do some reading. You found the dixon "kit" which is the best out there in "kit" form.

Some have converted to cut and turned TTB in front for the longer travel. Look through the off road fabrication section for other projects-sliders, cages , bumpers etc. Look through the registries to see what has been done. No need to type it all out again.

4. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
  5. J_Train

J_Train Active Member