96 AWD Pre runner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD96spoon

Reaction score
City, State
Ardmore, ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996, Explorer AWD
Hello, I just joined this forum and am looking for some advice on long travel suspension options for my 96 AWD explorer. I've had the truck about a year and am wanting to be able to take it to the dunes and haul ass through the air and also take it on trails through the woods. I'm not worried about keeping it street legal. I saw Dixon bros makes a kit but I was wondering if there were any other options. Also what is recommended for the rear suspension? I'm not looking to compete in anything, just have a ton of fun. Anyone done a prerunner build with the AWD explorer? What about cages, fenders, performance upgrades to the 5.0L? I'm not looking to spend 20k on this old truck but I'm willing to put some money into for good quality parts that will do what I want. Any ideas, recommendations, opinions, or questions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.
All of that is covered if you search and do some reading. You found the dixon "kit" which is the best out there in "kit" form.

Some have converted to cut and turned TTB in front for the longer travel. Look through the off road fabrication section for other projects-sliders, cages , bumpers etc. Look through the registries to see what has been done. No need to type it all out again.

Back