'96 Eddie Bauer 5.0 awd AC bypass???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'96 Eddie Bauer 5.0 awd AC bypass????

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
Hey guys back at it again working on my Ex. had some crazy screeching bearing noise from the drive belt area, the belt is fairly new, and it does not appear that the belt is making the noise, but I was able to figure out that the smooth idler pulley, and the tensioner pulleys(which are original to the truck) where every so often moving
side to side and making a ton of noise, I replaced those two and the grooved pulley just for good measure, was only $15 so why not. thinking that was it, I head home to only hear another pulley making some terrible noise. coming from the driver side of the engine, I listen to the P/S pump, and hear nothing, but man is the Ac compressor super loud. when its not screeching, it makes a terrible grinding noise.

Now I've been chasing an ac leak for some time, turns out the pump is leaking from the bottom somewhere. there is uv dye all over the driver side of the block. no lines are there, so it has to be the pump. for the time being its winter here in IL, and I just want the noise to stop, and not have the compressor lock up on me and leave me stranded. Is it possible to run a shorter belt without removing the pump at this time, so I can still drive the truck? I've read a lot of threads about this but they all appear to be varying, and mostly for the 4.0L, mines a 5.0.

Thanks for any help.

Back