96 Exlplorer Water Pump Housing damaged will it effect coolant flow | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Exlplorer Water Pump Housing damaged will it effect coolant flow

REMARKSD

Reaction score
City, State
STATEN ISLAND, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT, 98 XLT, 08 Escape
Own a 96 Explorer XLT - 4.0 with 177K miles. Last weekend, in removing the water pump, I snapped a lower bolt. A friends father heated up the housing with acetylene and I was able to grab onto and remove the snapped bolt with vise-grips, but I now see that the heat "deformed" the left (passenger) side passage of the water pump housing -- creating a small bump/"burr" in the aluminum...
I haven't reassembled anything yet. I believe I can seat the water pump with no problems but I and am wondering if this will have any affect/impact on my cooling.. Any suggestions?

Well, I don't recommend using acetylene but so far so good. I replaced the thermostat, water pump, radiator, fan clutch and because I snapped it -- the heater control valve, and so far so good. Cooling gauge is back to the center line -- it was fluctuating for a few months, and I also cleared my check engine light... I used a Fel-Pro gasket that was a few extra dollars -- but worth it in quality and Permatex blue. The bolt size is a flange bolt 6x 1.0 by 20 mm. Home Depot stocks it. Lowes does not. The Home Depot bolt is a 10 mm socket while the OEM bolts are 8 mm.

Back