Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

96 Explorer 5.0 V8 Transmission Swap

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by CamDJClimited, July 17, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. CamDJClimited

CamDJClimited Active Member

City, State:
      Southampton, MA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1996 Ford Explorer Limite
      I have a 96 Explorer V8 with the 4R70W Transmission. It's a 4 Speed Automatic. Is there any way I could swap it out for like the 5R55E (A 5 speed Automatic) from a 97 Explorer V8? Or 98 and ^? Is this possible?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. snapp central

snapp central New Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, B.C. (born & raised); Prince George - seasonally
      97 5.0 limited &97 ""SOHC
      I highly recommend NOT doing that. I am just a moderately advanced DIYS'r but I would say that unless your talking from simply a cost/ or availability stand-point, there is no reason you should do that. The 4 speed automatic is a heavy duty tranny which existed in f 150s prior to the year your vehicle was made. swapping it out for the 5 speed electronic one will give your truck wayy less towing capacity and probably change other things only professionals would know. I have a 97 limited 5.0 and a 97 limited with the 5 speed electronic - you'd effectively be turning a 'truck' into a light SUV (4speed to 5 speed electronic) ; however, if your thinking of it from monies standpoint.. different story. The 4 speed along with the 302 5.0 allow the explorer to weight nearly 800 or 900 pounds more as well, I believe.

you are also going to have to redo the transfer case and everything - AWD to 4 by 4. lots of work, but do it if you have the parts and time available.

4. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian EF Vendor Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      not doable regardless since the engine mounting pattern is different plus the 4 speed in the v8 is more reliable than the 5 speed in the v6 explorers