1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

96 Explorer Info

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by MotorCraft, September 21, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. MotorCraft

MotorCraft New Member

City, State:
      Berlin MA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      99 Ranger XLT
      A buddie of mine is going to buy a 1996 Explorer Sport Fully loaded Auto tranny 4x4. it took me a while tog et him to buy a ford but now he has and he needs some info. I looked for what kind of rear end gears he has the code is 41 to the best of what i knwo thats 3.27's open correct because the truck is slow off the line compared to my ranger with 4.10's. Also are there any known problems with this year Explorer. I drove it thought it was in good shape only has 50k on the clock. Please any info would be helpful

(Now i just have to convince him to MOD it.):rolleyes:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      41 is open 3.27. These are the gears that I had stock and they weren't too bad, definately great on the highway.

There are no outstanding problems with the 96s, though they tend to have the weak tranny problems like all the other Xs. I personally haven't had any major problems with mine other than the tranny, and I really beat the hell out of it. Right now I'm running 300 hp, 2.25" of lift, and 33's. It's my daily driver and has taken my on multiple long road trips.

Tell your friend good luck and welcome to the community!

4. MotorCraft

MotorCraft New Member

City, State:
      Berlin MA
      99 Ranger XLT
      thanks for the Info To bad I can't make my ranger with 300hp unless i have about 5k. Damn i wish i had a 4.0. :D but any way thanks for the info would it help if he put a tranny cooler on it or even a shift kit?

5. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      Tranny cooler and the BM electronic shift kit are good ideas. And the start with performance is always intake and exhaust.

6. MotorCraft

MotorCraft New Member

City, State:
      Berlin MA
      99 Ranger XLT
      yet again thank you for the info He picked the truck up today and is loving it. So much i have yet to see him since i droped him off at the dealer. :D

7. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Just a suggestion................make sure the air conditioning works perfectly under all circumstances. Early 2nd generation Explorers have a problem with the blend door of the a/c. It can sometimes be overlooked as a small problem that can be fixed easily in the future. The problem is, it is really a $800-$1000 problem.

Just check it out.................

Robb

8. MotorCraft

MotorCraft New Member

City, State:
      Berlin MA
      99 Ranger XLT
      i will look into that As soon as i can get ahold of him. I hope he takes care of this car his last one was a KCAR that died 3 times withing his 1 year ownership of it.