Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
Explorer Specifications:
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
134k miles
4.0L
4X4

Problem:

My ford explorer sometimes runs rough and the battery gauge sputters. Sometimes it dies unless I accelerate. When driving it dies at stop signs and check engine comes on, but If I turn it completely off and back on it starts but the battery gauge is still sputtering and dies unless I give it some gas. This problem doesn't occur all the time, which is why the mechanics at the shop cant seem to fix the problem. They say there is no codes coming up and I cant get it there when the problem is occurring. Back about a month ago the AC tilt/pulley locked up, so they put a bypass pulley to fix that problem. It seems that this problem only occurs after driving it for a while and when its relatively warmer out.

I've heard that it could be something to do with the ignition module and/or coil pack?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer Specifications:
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
134k miles
4.0L
4X4

Problem:

My ford explorer sometimes runs rough and the battery gauge sputters. Sometimes it dies unless I accelerate. When driving it dies at stop signs and check engine comes on, but If I turn it completely off and back on it starts but the battery gauge is still sputtering and dies unless I give it some gas. This problem doesn't occur all the time, which is why the mechanics at the shop cant seem to fix the problem. They say there is no codes coming up and I cant get it there when the problem is occurring. Back about a month ago the AC tilt/pulley locked up, so they put a bypass pulley to fix that problem. It seems that this problem only occurs after driving it for a while and when its relatively warmer out.

I've heard that it could be something to do with the ignition module and/or coil pack?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Well a battery gauge that sputters could mean your alternator is bad or there is a belt/pulley issue that is affecting the alternator. That could be related to the bypass pulley (maybe the tension isn't right?).

I've had them check all the electrical components (battery, Alternator, Starter)
and they all came back with normal readings. They've checked the belt twice now too. They told me that they can't solve it unless they can take a look at it when the problems concurring. Thing is twice now when its occurring, I've tried to make it there and as soon as i pull in seems to run fine. Its a curse.

Any other things it could be?

I've had them check all the electrical components (battery, Alternator, Starter)
and they all came back with normal readings. They've checked the belt twice now too. They told me that they can't solve it unless they can take a look at it when the problems concurring. Thing is twice now when its occurring, I've tried to make it there and as soon as i pull in seems to run fine. Its a curse.

Any other things it could be?

Sometimes it dies unless I accelerate. When driving it dies at stop signs and check engine comes

The next guess here is a bad idle air control valve. They rarely show codes, just stick and cause you to stall out. It is an intermittent problem. The part is cylindrical, located on the driver side upper intake manifold (black), and is attached with two bolts and there is a two lead harness. Search the site on how to clean it, if it resolves/improves the problem I suggest replacing the part for the long term. If the valve is original it is likely at the end of its life.

Another problem could be an air leak or vacuum hose, but you would likely have codes.

Okay, I've cleaned the IAC. It was really dirty and gunked up in there, hopefully it fixes my problem. Thank you

Drove it a little today and the problem occurred again. I drove it about 5 miles and let it sit for about 10 minutes, came back and on first & second start up's it died. Third I gave it some gas, and made it home. Battery gauge sputtered and almost died at every stop sign, Made it close to my house and problem stopped, ran fine at idle in my driveway after that.

It was at noon today, and its about 75 degrees out if that matters. ( seems to happen more often on hot days)

Can an old fuel filter or old spark plugs cause this kind of problem?

Back