96 Explorer V8 Exhaust Manifold Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer V8 Exhaust Manifold Question

CamDJClimited

Reaction score
City, State
Southampton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer Limite
So I'm about to change the drivers side exhaust manifold, but I need to know can I do the whole job through the engine bay and wheel well? I know the bolts should come right out because I had my mechanic check the gasket a couple weeks ago. But can I do the job by just working in the wheel well or is there more involved? I'm trying to do this tomorrow, so any help would be GREAT! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will have to get under the vehicle to remove the pipe to manifold bolts.

You will have to get under the vehicle to remove the pipe to manifold bolts.

Are those easy to access? Or do I really have to remove the driveshaft?

If you have a 1/2" drive with a swivel and deep sockets you will be fine. They where pretty easy on mine and It was 10 yrs old at that point. And yes remove that inner rubber flap that is held onto the inner wheel well by plastic Christmas tree clips and you should be able to do it all right there. Be carefull when taking in and out not to break the spark plugs unless you have extras or are going to put in new ones while your there.

If you have a 1/2" drive with a swivel and deep sockets you will be fine. They where pretty easy on mine and It was 10 yrs old at that point. And yes remove that inner rubber flap that is held onto the inner wheel well by plastic Christmas tree clips and you should be able to do it all right there. Be carefull when taking in and out not to break the spark plugs unless you have extras or are going to put in new ones while your there.

Great! Now my next question is what are the socket sizes I'll need?

That I don't remember I'm sorry. The actual manifold bolts you should have a socket for easy any 3/8" drive set will have. You will need a swivel on a few of the bolts to get around the upper A-Arm mounting brackets.

It looks like you have a 1996, are you replacing the manifold with the 1999-2001 style cast iron manifold? The 1996-1998 ones are a tube style and they suck, that's why mine was leaking was the tubes had cracked. Ford in the last three years of the 5.0L Explorer went to the cast iron ones so that's what I put on mine and they run bigger runners to, I got a hair more power and about .5-1mpg better as well. I have a thread on here where I swapped them out and have pics of the old and new ones.

Quick Question

Would a 220 ft./lbs Electric Impact Wrench be enough to take the bolts off? Like I said before..they shouldn't be stuck on, as the manifold was removed a couple weeks ago.

And is there a way I can do this without removing the driveshaft?

Should be enough power. They shouldn't be that tight. Also yes I didn't have to pull mine out just run extensions and a swivel and your good!

Should be enough power. They shouldn't be that tight. Also yes I didn't have to pull mine out just run extensions and a swivel and your good!

Just finished today! :D The dang impact wrench I rented didn't even work..so I just used a 1/2" Drive socket wrench, extensions, and a swivel. It all went well! But I don't even want to talk about getting the thing outta the engine bay...how did you guys do it? I literally had to wrestle with it!

Back