1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

'96 Explorer V8 Thermostat Housing / Water Outlet - 90 degree same as 95 Mustang V8

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by TristanXLT96, July 22, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. TristanXLT96

TristanXLT96 New Member

City, State:
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '96 XLT
    Hello!

I'd been on this forum in the past, but unfortunately forgot my username/password and have switched ISPs since then so I had a create a new user name.

I'm hoping I can get some help/insight here before I have to dish out another $85-$100 for a part my Explorer. I have a '96 XLT V8 302 that I've had to replace the radiator due to a leak. After replacing that I realized I also had a leak from the hose from the top of the water pump to the bypass on the thermostat housing. When I removed that hose the majority of the metal tubing that was in the housing basically broke apart.

Here's my dilemma: I've been to O'Reillys and AutoZone to try to locate the housing locally, but in every instance they've either given me a part without the bypass, or a part with the bypass and a 45 degree connection to the upper hose. With the 45 degree connection, the fan blade would simply shred the hose.

On a whim, I checked out the housing for a 95 Mustang V8 .. It's a 90 degree connection like the one I pulled off, with the bypass .. My question is will this work for me?

For reference, the one I was given was (45 degree), and what it looks like I need is a Motorcraft SH-37 (90 degree) .. The 90 degree is exactly what I pulled off but listed for a 95 Mustang..

Any insight is greatly appreciated ..

Update:

I was able to order the actual part through Ford for $100. I checked with OReillys later that same day for the part for a '95 Mustang V8 .. It's the same part, but only cost $12. Only thing you really have to pay attention to is the gasket. I'll be returning the $100 Ford part.

Last edited: July 23, 2011
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

We Support Our Troops!