1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

96 Explorer won't turn over/ignite

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by daxb, December 17, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. daxb

daxb New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1996 Xlt 5.0
      What I mean is that it's trying to crank but it won't actually turn over start (ignite?). It's not the battery, it isn't a clicking issue. This happened out of the blue yesterday and now it's sitting at some random garage.

Mechanic thinks it's the fuel pump. From my research it seems that I need to ask if a) he can hear the fuel pump priming when the ignition is in the on position and b) if he has checked the relays. Any other thoughts? SHould I mention the spraying the ignition fluid down the starter? And if that works then it's the pump?

He's getting me a price but thinks maybe around $400? He says it's because to get to the pump he has to drop the tank on the 96. Does this sound right?

This is terrible. My truck is about 20 miles from where I live so I can't even shop around without incurring towing costs.

Does $400 sound like I am getting hosed?

Thanks so much in advance, this is kind of an emergency since I'm carless and at the mercy of the garage.

thanks,

Dax

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. daxb

daxb New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      1996 Xlt 5.0
      Autozone lists a master fuel pump at $120 (also one for $140). Since the pump is apparently located inside the tanke (according to autozone), how many hours would it take to take off, replace pump, and remount the tank? Thanks!

4. daxb

daxb New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      1996 Xlt 5.0
      Hmm, reading up, it sounds like I should:

1) get mechanic to verify spark

2) If there is spark, then maybe test voltage on alternator to verify it's charging?

3) Fuel

a) Get mechanic to spray starting fluid down the throttle body and have someone else start. If it starts, it's definitely fuel related.

b) if fuel related, first get him to turn ignition to on position to listen for the fuel pump priming. If he doesn't hear it, then is the pump definitely dead?

c) I also should get him to check the fuel relay and fuel pressure regulator?

d) What are EFI fuses? Apparently he should be checking those too?

5. BuffaloXplorer

BuffaloXplorer The X had to go!

City, State:
      Buffalo, New York
      2006 Impala SS
      I had a Fuel pump problem, but it started and shut off immediately. It ran a little less than the 400, but not much. The tank DOES need to be removed.

Take into account amount of time you're paying to: cyphon most of the gas out of the tank (1/2 hour), drop the tank (3/4 hour), replace the unit (1 hour), replace the tank (3/4 hour), etc. Add the cost of the pump/sending unit and there u go.

6. daxb

daxb New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      1996 Xlt 5.0
      Total is $485. He is charging me $263 for the pump, which seems like a lot considering the autozone one was $140 tops. 2.5 hours of labor. He had already tried all of the above recommendations, including the starter fluid. Crap. Thanks Buffalo.

7. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      first you have to verify power to the pump, meaning test the power at the fuse and relay. Ford underhood power dist boxes are notorious for having the fuel pump fuse or relay come loose or go bad....this is a $5 fix instead of $400.

A shop will charge you $400 to replace the pump, thats the going rate.
      I will tell you with hand tools and 1/2 tank of gas the entire proceedure takes about an hour.

I would stay far far away from an Autozone fuel pump, Ford only since you dont want to drop the tnak twice.

Also before diagnosing the pump as the problem like I said the power should be tested at the fuse, relay, inertia switch, then the pump, then the fuel pressure should be tested at the fuel rail, then you can make the assumption it is in fact a bad pump.

8. BuffaloXplorer

BuffaloXplorer The X had to go!

City, State:
      Buffalo, New York
      2006 Impala SS
      I thought the same thing...the autozone unit is the pump only and does not include the sending unit (?), which is generally needed...call around for prices for the FP with sending unit...

www.FordPartsNetwork.com $223.93

9. daxb

daxb New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      1996 Xlt 5.0
      Thanks for the suggestion 410, I just called the guy who incidentally is pretty cool. He says that's one of the first things he tried also. He said once the relay clicks on, he knows it's probably going to be the pump. Apparently (no idea if it's true), he has an explorer as well and is aware of this problem. He sounds legit, guess I need to just suck it up.

10. 410Fortune

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      or if you have some wrenches do the job yourself and save $250 :)
      Now is the perfect time for a new fuel filter since you will have the fuel system de-pressurized.

11. daxb

daxb New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      1996 Xlt 5.0
      He is putting in a new filter while he's at it. $20 included.

It's 20 miles away from me, I don't have a rental, it's 30 degrees outside and I don't have a garage or even a driveway (apartment living in Boston). I'd love to save the cash but this is a battle I don't think I'll win.

12. 410Fortune

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      I understand that man for sure
      get a warranty on the pump and labor :)