Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

96 Ford Dead, po171 and 174

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Fordah, December 31, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Fordah

Fordah New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1996 Ford Explorer Sport
    Hi. I have a 1996 Ford Explorer sport with 120k miles. 4.6 v6 engine and manual transmission. The ford no longer runs more than 1-2 mins. It will start up, idle for 1-2 minutes and then die. If I try to drive it, it will die even faster. Before the failure problems occurred, the car would sputter while driving in any gear. it had this behavior for about a week before it finally died. The codes I got from an AutoZone scan were po171 and po174. I replaced the fuel filter and the MAF looks clean. Now I'm thinking vacuum leak? Hoping someone might have a good idea. I'm a novice when it comes to repairing cars.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    you have a 4.0L V6, not a 4.6L. Yes, P0171/P0174 indicate a vacuum leak. considering your car will not even run anymore, it must be a pretty big leak. check all your vacuum hoses. being a large leak should make it easier to find. if you have the SOHC engine, check the PCV elbow first.

4. Fordah

Fordah New Member

1996 Ford Explorer Sport
    Thanks, will check it out and get back to you!

5. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    if you don't find any vacuum leaks, you might want to check your fuel pressure. it should be around 60-65 PSI. has the fuel pump ever been replaced? whens the last time you changed your fuel filter? Ford recommends you replace the filter every 30,000 miles.

6. Fordah

Fordah New Member

1996 Ford Explorer Sport
    Spot on! After fumbling for a few days, not really knowing where to look for vacuum leaks (although, I did find the PCV elbow you were talking about, and it was fine) I decided to get a diagnostic from a mechanic. He found that the pump is only pushing out 20psi. Im going to attempt to replace it with my dad, since he has experience replacing this pump on other cars.

Thanks for all your help! Do you have any recommendations on brands/parts I should buy? Or a good website to order from?

A

7. rb142

rb142 Active Member

City, State:
    Detroit, MI
    2001 Ranger XLT 4X4
    Don't use an Airtex. Changing pumps is a pain and not a place to use cheap parts. I'd put in a Motorcraft unless you are really low on cash or planning to get rid of the truck soon.

We Support Our Troops!