96 limited 4.0 transmission no 12v power issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 limited 4.0 transmission no 12v power issue

asasial

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer limited 4.0
I have a 96 exlorer limited 4.0 4X4 automatic.
The transmission and transfer case does not seem to be getting any 12v power. the 4wd switch does nothing. no lights on dash can't hear transfer case doing anything or hear any relays engaging.
the Overdrive off button on the shifter does not do anything either
the cruise control is not working "cruse" light on dash does not even come on. the transmission while driving is shaking, kinda like the torque converter is locking and unlocking. i have checked all the fluid level, fuses, and relays(as far as i know) and can't find anything wrong all fuses are getting power and are good.
any help would be great. this is my only 4 wheel mode of transportation and with colder weather just a few months away i'd rather not be stuck a motorcycle when the snow starts flying, and i'm affraid of damaging the transmission driving it like this. i am mechanically inclined, but can't find anything wrong so far.

well figure this one out if ya can... i messed around with the fuses and relays. did nothing more than take them out check for blown fuses and bad connections and put them back in. now the 4wd goes in the cruise works and the overdrive does turn off....
BUT!!!! the cruise, 4wd, and overdrive lights on the dash only work when i have the park lights on....
anyone tell me what's up with that????

Back