Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

96 OHV lower radiator hose removal?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by syn-, May 24, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. syn-

syn- Active Member

City, State:
    orlando, fl
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    96 xlt - wip
    Ok, so the title is a little misleading, but I am having trouble detaching the lower radiator hose from the block. I moved the clamp, but no amount of tugging is getting this thing free. A friend recommended cutting the hose and prying it off, but I have had no success getting to under to pry. any recommendations?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 2000XLT4X4

2000XLT4X4 New Member

City, State:
    Chicago, IL
    2000 XLT
    Take a large pair of pliers or channelocks, open them up large enough to go around the hose at the neck, squeeze the pliers just enough to grasp the hose, then twist the pliers back and forth being careful not to overtorque the neck. It should break loose. Then you can tug on the hose to get it off the neck.

4. marragtop

marragtop Well-Known Member

City, State:
    balt, md
    91, 92, 95, and 2000 xlts
    Get a small flat blade screwdriver under and start prying it back and hit it with PB Blaster. Work the screwdriver around the neck and keep squirting. It will come off.

5. Dilbert5

Dilbert5 Active Member

City, State:
    austin
    I would suggest just cutting the hose off, I just finished changing the water pump, and rad on the wife's 5.0, and it was a pain. I had intended to replace all the hoses before I had even started, so it was no problem to slice them from one end to the other.